1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He is free to pay for his child's education, but if he wants it to be a religious education, he shouldn't expect public money to help him out with that.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was never able to avail myself of the opportunity benefit of learning useful skills in the Army for free. I'd like a voucher for sailing school.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've certainly seen that.

I've moderated my position on the whole thing -- mostly because of the families I know who get to the end of the K-12 private education, see their kids headed to the same damn college (or worse) as they would have otherwise, and say "damn I'd sure like to have that $200,000 back!" Out here my thought is, sure, go to those private schools, and good luck hitting that top 4 percent cutoff for the highest tier of UC schools!

My quarrel is not with private schools. It's with charter schools especially, and to a lesser extent those who believe they don't reap the benefit of a strong public school system and furthermore believe that their tax bill is an a la carte exercise.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't buy that last part at all. People are more than welcome to send their children to private schools if they want to pay for that, but they still have to pay their school taxes. Again, that tax is levied for living in the school district, whether your children attend those public schools or not.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey @YankeeFan, you think Trump just went too far by using the White House Twitter account to RT his tears for Ivanka?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes.

Ace, HanSenSE, jr/shotglass and 3 others like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You kind of breezed past your criticism of his position as "inconsistent." I'm sympathetic with your position above, but it's not inconsistent to argue that while he has kids in private school, he is doing at least his share of society's work w.r.t. educating the citizens of tomorrow.

8. doctorquant

Sorry. When you were of the age society decided its best use for you was as a male stripper. The voucher's still valid, but ...

9. cranberry

Hey, all I'd have to do is pick the right audience! I could still wow the ladies playing canasta down at the club room after the early bird special.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Make sure your tie doesn't hang too low ...

11. doctorquant

I've mentioned this before, but when I was growing up in a small town in SC, nobody (other than the seriously, seriously pious Evangelicals) sent their kids to private school. One of the richest men in SC, his kids went to my alma mater. That's just what you did.

Now I know tons of people who come off the hip for that. Part of it's just being in a big metro area, where you have a lot more choice. And a lot of them are just rich people for whom that kind of money doesn't matter ... but I also know a lot of them who seriously strain to make that happen. I don't see it.

12. cranberry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.