1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He'll probably give Alaska back to Russia within a couple weeks anyway.

It'll be in one of the executive orders Herr Bannon will give him to sign, which he'll be too busy to read because he'll be bouncing Ivanka naked on his lap.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It wasn't just any SCOTUS seat, which is why I think they made that move. Scalia's biting the dust in a 5-4 court during a Democrat's administration had the chance to sway the balance of the court for a very long time. If he goes a year earlier, the GOP would have been royally screwed, though there's no guaranteeing they don't employ the Blazing Saddles defense anyway since most of their base would go for it. As it was, it was a desperation move that worked.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Looks like Sessions' confirmation has borne some Strange fruit.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't buy that. That bullshit was beyond the pale. The seat was stolen, plain and simple. Legislation needs to be passed to patch this hole in the process, so that it is not allowed to happen again regardless of which party is in power. It simply isn't right.

Stoney, Riptide and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  8. Starman

9. Neutral Corner

Here is the corollary to that story - Bentley taps Strange to get the Senate seat he lusts after. Strange blocks hearings into the Bentley affair for months by asking the state impeachment committee to discontinue hearing because they might interfere with his investigation. Several months later, the House Committee asks Strange about his progress, and he replies "What investigation? I never said I was holding an investigation." Purely a coincidence, of course, not a quid pro quo.

Bentley's prime choice to replace Strange is Cooper Shattuck, who was his personal attorney and who set up ACEGOV, his Dark Money PAC (aka The Girlfriend Fund). He's been given several state jobs since by Bentley, including chief counsel for the University of Alabama. Bentley want to make him AG to ensure that any further investigation of his affair on the state dime is blocked.

Bentley confidant tops list of possible AG replacement as new ethics complaint surfaces

10. Starman

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Article I linked said it would be the DA from Marshall County, which was a new one to me. Whoever it is will get primaried eight ways to Sunday next year, which isn't the same as saying they'll be replaced by someone clean.

12. Neutral Corner

I seriously doubt that he can get Shattuck past even the Alabama lege. It's not like Bentley has any more political capital or credibility to expend.

Can you believe that he had the chutzpah to take Rebekah Caldwell Mason and her husband on a "business trip" to DC to see Trump's Inauguration? I really wonder what the bargain there is, beyond giving her husband a $100k state job.

I hope the hearings on Strange to the Senate blow sky high, for any number of reasons.

Bentley attended Trump inauguration with Rebekah Mason, her husband

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.