1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

What happened to "B."?

There have been several Logan Act investigations in the last 30 to 40 years. "Never-used" is imprecise, and I'm not sure what a law's age has to do with this discussion.

Why would a board full of journalists and ex-journalists be concerned about leaks that help form a better picture of the NSA?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, YF, it's almost as if the leakers think Flynn is a danger to national security.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A. SJ.com style

2. No one has ever been prosecuted under a law that's been on the books for over 200 years

C. Support for leakers seems to sway depending on who's on the receiving end of the leak.

QYFW likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

White Chicagoans: sure we vote Democratic, but that doesn't mean we want "affordable housing" in our neighborhood, and our opposition to it is totally not rooted in racism. We're democrats after all.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything to make be believe that account is based in reality.

Hermes and YankeeFan like this.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Been here more than a decade and I've never seen that style.

Big difference between no one being prosecuted and no one being convicted. You meant the latter.

It's also an incredibly rare set of circumstances where this law would be implicated, but an incoming administration's representative telling a foreign power's ambassador that they don't need to worry about the still-in-power administration's sanctions is one of those rare sets of facts that clearly implicates the Logan Act.

You're looking for a double standard on leaks that doesn't exist. At least not here with any prevalence.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And the patriots have the best Trump support of any team in the big 4 sports.

Wait til other teams start winning championships. Players are not going to want to go anywhere near the stench of the White House. It is bad optics to be seen with Trump. These people have friends and family they have to go home to.

What NBA team is going to go?

Trump will kill the "Championship team White House visit" thing. Good. It outlived its usefulness.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Bronco77, SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

NBA teams will only go when there's a Democratic president because that's the most open-minded of the major sports leagues.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It outlived its usefulness the first time it was used -- although maybe for the Olympic teams it's OK. I loved the picture of Carter with the 1980 hockey team. He clearly was seeing a hockey stick for the first time in his life.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's not SJ style, but it's a running joke.

A.
    iii.

Get it right, YF.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't see it (stipulating those facts). Perhaps it's bad form and practice, but criminal ... no. I mean, the incoming administration's representative could have simply announced, from a podium, exactly the same thing. Surely that wouldn't have been criminal.

12. YankeeFan

Yeah, I don't see this as a bad thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.