1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

His thin skin and inability to laugh at himself would have ruined it.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm with you that this thing can happily go the way of the dodo.

FileNotFound and YankeeFan like this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He's too stupid to recognize the press has made him who he is.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

(I don't love you bastages enough to retype all this, so you get sloppy seconds from my Facebook.)

This morning my U.S. Representative, Gary Palmer, held a town hall meeting in Hoover. Despite arriving just after 7:30 for a 9 a.m. meeting I did not get in due to the size of the crowd. But I stuck around, and I thought I’d tell you what I saw.

• I saw a lot of people. We were told capacity inside the meeting room at city hall was 200 people. There were more than that number left outside, maybe close to double that number. Virtually all of them stayed around for about an hour after the meeting started, and at least a third stayed until the meeting ended around 10:30, half-hour later than planned.
    • I saw mostly people unhappy with Rep. Palmer, the Republicans in Washington and especially President Trump. There were some conservative supporters as well, but I would guess they made up perhaps 5 percent of the crowd. Bear in mind Alabama’s 6th District is tied for the fifth-most Republican in the country according to the Cook Partisan Voting Index.
    • I saw one or two protesters get a little loud or confrontational, but I saw no one who got belligerent or violent. I saw one or two Trump supporters get a little loud or confrontational, but I saw no one who got belligerent or violent. People were largely respectful of each other and stood up for what they believed, but stepped away if they found their emotions running too high.
    • I saw no paid protestors, unless you count doughnuts and bottled water as getting paid. A lot of people wore stickers with their zip codes written on them to emphasize that they live here and weren’t “outside agitators”. I saw African Americans and Hispanics and Asians but mostly I saw white faces, which is what you’d expect in a district that is nearly 90 percent white. I saw several crunchy granola types and lots and lots of freshly scrubbed preppy-looking folks. I saw several veterans wearing clothes and caps representing their branch of the service, but in contrast to the stereotype many were there to support progressive causes.
    • I saw Hoover police at all times acting professionally and courteously to everyone they came in contact with. And I saw people thank them for that.
    • I saw TV crews for every local news affiliate talking to people outside as well as filming the meeting inside. I saw people from two radio stations also interviewing people. And I saw a reporter and camera crew that didn’t display an affiliation basically dragging a woman in a Trump hat all across the parking lot and filming her (sometimes intense) confrontations with several other people there. Wherever they went a gaggle of people with signs congregated behind them and occasionally began chanting. As they were packing up I got to ask the reporter who they were with. She said it was a crew from Viacom filming for the Daily Show.
    • I saw Rep. Palmer - but only via a Facebook Live feed that quickly drained my battery. He did promise to hold another meeting later this year at a school that could hold a bigger crowd. And while I don’t agree with a lot of what he has to say, I give him a lot of credit for not only holding a meeting while many of his colleagues blow off their constituents, but doing so in the largest city entirely inside his district and at a time and day of the week when a lot of people could come out. Part of being a leader is hearing from some of those you lead that things are not ok.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Here is what QYFOS posted. I'm not thrilled about Ellison, but it is a hell of a long trip from his position in the party to saying all of those people hate Jews.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Hey, everyone, oop is on record saying he is "not thrilled" by an anti-Semite in a position of power on his favorite team. #strongwordsbytheboardcentrist

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

OS? Operating System?

8. Vombatus

Well, the 2011 WHCAD is what caused the mess we are in now.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Today in "this will be part of the next Spicey on SNL bit" the WH press secretary is upset the NY Times wrote he is "New England bred" and said they couldn't get where he was born right and then failed to ask. Spicer, the guy from Rhode Island. Which is in New England.

10. Vombatus

How can the NYT say "New England bred"? Where was he conceived? Parents could have been on vacation at Lake Tahoe.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The JPost

Anyway, good result. The right guy got the job. Perez and Ellison will make a good team.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You must be thrilled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.