1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Oop, this is different. It's a heavily-charged, easily-ignited politicized issue. It's the kind of thing where one misstep -- even unintentional -- gets people fired.

Let me share a story: a few months ago, I wrote a story on Harrison Brown, the first transgender player in the National Women's Hockey League. I was interviewing another transgender athlete about Brown, and kept referring to the latter as "her." The athlete I was talking to kept interrupting me by saying, "Him! Him! Not Her!" I apologized, explained this was new to me and said, "I'm getting used to this, and because Brown's voice is feminine, I revert to 'Her' instead of 'Him' but I am trying to get used to it."

The athlete was not happy with this explanation. "I wouldn't tell anyone that if I was you," they said.

I was actually a little annoyed...here I am trying to help and this is attitude I'm getting? Spoke about it to a few people the next day and they said they weren't surprised. It's emotional and very personal to transgender people fighting for acceptance. So, if Mack gets injured, I can see there being hell to pay.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I'm sure that will be a productive attitude, much like the one that guided us to PRESIDENT TRUMP.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The rules didn't allow him to wrestle against boys, even though that's what he wanted to do. That's how the mess got created.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Right. The people establishing the rules were doing such amid some uncertainty and ambiguity. Had they only prayed to Saint Creosote ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I hope Dems are happy they chose the Obama/Clinton choice to head the DNC.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Should treat high school wrestling like immigration and just ignore the rules.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do you even have a setting besides bitter loner anymore?

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm never alone.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Even when you're in a bathroom?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Of course he's not. I hear that's where all the transgenders hang out, just lurking in the shadows and waiting to pounce on unsuspecting defecators.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Seems pretty clear: either the deputy chair of the DNC is an anti-Semite, or he was the victim of a vicious smear from members of his own party.

“In the final 36 hours, the Ellison campaign spent significant resources combating an 11th-hour smear campaign that was sending targeted emails to Jewish DNC members,” texted an official on the Ellison campaign, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss internal campaign matters.

Added Melahat Rafiei, a DNC voting member from California who supported Ellison: “Probably the most heartbreaking part of this process was seeing the fruition of Islamophobia in our own party. It was Islamophobia, to the fullest extent possible, and it was disappointing [that Democrats] were influenced by it.”

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. Aging fucking Boomer. Go away. She's like that bitch in The Ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.