1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dinner at Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, Miss., certainly is.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

In the 1980s in Detroit I witnessed someone at a $35 — when that was an extravagant amount of money for a meal — breakfast buffet eat only a bagel with cream cheese.

Bagels were on the menu for $2.50.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

There was one in the bigger town near the small town I grew up in. Closed three or four years ago but owners were known for being generous in the community (particularly youth hockey) and giving a lot of folks their first jobs, some of them with some life challenges. Owners were very friendly, chatted up customers at their tables all the time. The kind of place where I'd take Mom out for Mother's Day as a kid and they'd hand all the moms carnations at the door.

They kind of blamed Obamacare (and some other rising cost factors) for closing, which was kind of an eye-roll thing, but the people running it were getting up there and probably just wanted to retire more than anything.

It was always a treat for our family growing up, even if looking back it was pretty mediocre. We had a thing called the "Bonanza Challenge," in which you had to eat everything you got from the salad bar before your steak came, which was actually pretty hard because the service was generally quick. Their building is in a very visible location and was empty for several years after. When I'm home and drive by, I do miss it a little.

Earlier today, I happened upon a 'ranking' of steak sauces. Chimichurri was No. 2 (behind, I think, bearnaise, with which I'm not familiar). I've done a chimichurri recipe before and highly recommend it if you're looking for a change of pace.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I would read a book about buffets. The business model and their rise and fall in the 1980s and 1990s, the grossest stories, the oddest types, tie them into a larger story of America's gluttony, horror stories from buffet workers, most expensive, least expensive.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As long as Golden Corral, Furr's and various local catfish or Chinese restaurants are in business, the buffet will never die.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I believe our Scando cousins call it Smörgåsbord

Hermes likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I want to hear stories about people puking.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who remembers everyone having a salad bar back in the 80s, including Wendy's and Burger King?

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely. The country went crazy for all-you-can-eat there for a few years. I remember the Wendy's Superbar. What a strange experiment that was. Salad, pasta and Mexican food for $3 and making already-overworked fast food worker maintain a buffet. What a business plan.

I bet Trump loved the Superbar. "Wendy's? Love their Italian food!"

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Ingredients. Cheep beers use rice and corn along with some barley. Less cheap beers will use less rice and corn. Rice and corn are really sweet and don't have much flavor otherwise. Aging a beer in a huge stainless steel vat isn't going to change its flavor.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's so ubiquitous now but there was a mystique back in the day. You couldn't get it east of the Mississippi.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

9/11 is fake, Sandy Hook is fake, and here is what the president is going to say.

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.