1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I thought we'd established that there is no line.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You indicate that business and landowners can be trusted to do the right thing and not dump chemicals and pollutants and stuff into the water and spew filth into the air without regulation. In my half-century on this earth, I haven't seen any evidence of that and have seen plenty of evidence to the contrary. Given that, it's my belief that a government agency such as the EPA is necessary to ensure we all don't start glowing in the dark and growing third eyes or whatever.

If I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong and what the better way is. That's all I'm asking.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what the FDA is for:

• Color and texture are unreliable indicators of safety. Using a food thermometer is the only way to ensure the safety of meat, poultry, seafood, and egg products for all cooking methods. These foods must be cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature to destroy any harmful bacteria.
    Safe Food Handling: What You Need to Know

Try to order a burger at Five Guys less than medium well. They won't do it.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't go press my nose against the chain link fence, but I had a good friend who bought a house and eighteen months later a Superfund site was declared three blocks away.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, no, I haven't suggested anything of the sort.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. I was sure President Trump would go along with this great idea, which Udall apparently got from a West Wing story line.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, without EPA regulation, I guess we're just going to shrug and hope everyone eventually does the right thing?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Stanford, Schmanford.

Vouchers do not improve student achievement, Stanford researcher finds

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/02/28...tudent-achievement-stanford-researcher-finds/

At best, they have only a modest impact on high school graduation rates, Carnoy found – and the risks they pose outweigh any advances.

“The evidence is very weak that vouchers produce significant gains in learning,” Carnoy said. “They also carry hidden costs, and they’re distracting us from other solutions that could yield much higher returns.”

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I went to high school in Wayne, New Jersey, at a small Catholic school that's no longer there. In a neighborhood otherwise filled with your average suburban homes, there was a site where W.R. Grace used to extract thorium and other elements from monazite ore. Basically, there was a chain-link fence and a huge, huge mound of contaminated dirt, covered with looked to be an ordinary tarp. All - to be generous - maybe a hundred yards from the front entrance of the school.

You'd like a place to work to live up to its cliches but man, the Garden State wasn't even trying that day.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't forget, the air is going to get fucked again too, if Trump pulls out of the Paris agreement like he wants to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.