1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't watch it. Fuck him.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It's all about showing someone up and saving face. A college friend of mine is of Korean descent and explained to me how big a deal that is in the Far East. (Also explains why he is such an ass on message boards).

Anyway, Khan whipped out that pocket copy of the Constitution and said a bunch of inflammatory things that were guaranteed to provoke Trump. And he took it further to the morning "news" entertainment shows. It became the only thing memorable about the DNC convention, which probably wasn't good for HRC. She needed the news cycles to be about her, and not Khan running around trying to bounce Trump off turnbuckles.

With the SEAL, so far, of family, only his father has publicly asked for answers, and understandably so. And add the press circling around trying to find any blood in the water to pounce on.

There's going to be more of this. Fog of war.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here is a serious and I hope non-partisan criticism of Trump and that speech that I think would apply if he advocated policies I supported. To govern is to choose, and here is a man who hates choosing. The longer he insists he (and us) can have it all, the more trouble he will encounter, because when he doesn't choose, others in his administration will wind up choosing for him.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This isn't the "analysis" I have read this morning, but I think you are spot on. Populism got him elected. Now you either deliver on the bullshit or you don't (and there is no way possible). Same holds true of anyone elected. But they always come in and shift gears and nominally pretend to be doing something. For him vague promises laden with superlatives won't cut it past the honeymoon phase.

The problem for him is that the bullshit he has slung isn't possible. It's so ridiculous that people have become insane in their expectations. I am not as surprised by that, because it was insane that this clown was even elected president. We are going to go down in a fit of insanity. ... until we HAVE to deal with reality.

He has half of the equation right. The debt skyrocketed during the last administration. The real jobless rate is way higher than the nonsensical U3 rate that simply stops counting tens of millions of people who gave up. Our economy is in a decade-long malaise, and the only reason it did better before that was a reckless debt binge.

The problem for him is that his bullshit promises have been particularly bold. But it's simple math. Our debt to GDP is now 105 percent -- that is past the point of no return. We can't grow our way out of that, unless you are making unrealistic assumptions. The only thing that has held off reality is a central bank keeping interest rates ridiculously near zero for as long as it can via manipulation, to prevent us from drowning in interest payments. And that is making the debt problem even worse -- making the day of reckoning worse. In that environment, SOMETHING is going to give. Not like in 10 years from now. But REALLY soon. Because the fantasy of the last several decades is very near its end. It is going to mean either massive spending cuts, massive revenue raises (i.e. tax increases) or some combination of the two.

Yet, we have another president (this time with populist bullshit) talking about "big, big" tax cuts, and a trillion dollars of infrastructure spending and billions of dollars of a military build up, etc.. ... and STILL with no details. ... which makes sense, because there are no details in the world that can make this insanity plausible.

This is no different than any of the last few presidents for someone like me. EXCEPT for the fact that there isn't kicking the can down the road for 4 or 8 years now while they fiddle away and try to monetize more and more debt. But people won't focus on it, until we are knee deep in the crisis.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Much of the left has become the very people they mocked for the previous eight years.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll catch hell for this - and that's fine - but I found that whole situation with the SEALs widow overcooked. Then again, I've long grown tired of politicians using dead servicemen and their grieving families as a theatrical prop to score points with the jerkoffs watching at home. Want to honor the military? stop putting them in vulnerable situations for questionable reasons and start getting them real health care when the come back all fucked up.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was a nice moment, but that's all it was. To suggest Trump has turned some sort of corner is ludicrous.

Everyone marveled at the class and humility he showed with his election night speech, and was hopeful he'd show more of that. But he went right back to being a petty, nasty, self-obsessed blowhard the very next day.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is not surprising that political journalists (and journalists here) attribute a lot of mojo to speeches. We are or were in the word business, after all. But events drive politics, not speeches. Sherman doesn't take Atlanta, how the Gettysburg Address looks today would be very different. Some day soon, Trump will issue another travel ban. There will be more protests and more legal challenges. How will they turn out? Beats me, I have as little legal training as he does, although I've been in less litigation. The Republicans will or won't succeed in getting rid of some, most, or all of Obamacare. Public reactions to that will drive politics much more than Trump's words.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who was that young up-and-comer who delivered the Democratic response?

He should run for office. I'm sure he'd have @Starman's support.

[​IMG]

poindexter likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And if he can't electrify the party, I'm sure this dynamic duo can:

[​IMG]

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump delivered a speechwriter's words reasonably competently. Part of the time he even succeeded in sounding like he bought in, part of the time you knew he wasn't going to be able to. There is no way in hell he will be able to maintain last night's tone. It isn't in him.

HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.