1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since all the response to the President speeches given have only served to damage the career of the speechgiver (ask Bobby Jindal), picking a retired pol was smart.
    PS: Dave Weigel of the Washington Post had an interesting thought experiment last night. He asked folks on twitter if they could cite a line from any of Obama's addresses to Congress without using Google. One who confessed he couldn't was Jon Favreau, who worked for Obama. I cite this merely to indicate the transitory if any effect of such speeches given by any President.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And the right has become just as arrogant hypocritical and dictatorial as they claimed the left was

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember George W. Bush going after PEDs in baseball that one time, but that's about it ...

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The only thing I distinctly remember from any of President Obama's addresses to Congress was that idiot from South Carolina, Joe Wilson, yelling out that he's a liar.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It's amazing how much credit the POTUS is getting for simply giving a speech without stepping on his own dick.

At best, it was a C+ high school communications speech in both writing and delivery. But this is the world Trump has created. Maybe I can't recite specific lines from Obama speeches, but there were some incredible moments, such as after Sandy Hook, that I thought might actually affect change in this country, but they were nitpicked until all context was gone immediately afterward.

Obama would give a great speech and get bashed for using a teleprompter. Trump stays on script for once (four days after breathing fire at CPAC) and he's suddenly brilliant, presidential.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, he didn't step on his dick on television. It's the New and Improved Trump!

Kato likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I watched. I thought Trump did well by sticking to the prepared speech. I though the speech was OK as these things go but promised WAY too much.

Most politicians would say they are going to work the heroin problem. Trump says he is going to end drug addiction.

But the worst part for me was doubling down on immigrants by painting them all as murderers and creating a special Hydra task force to combat illegals.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nobody ever watches the response anyways, regardless of the party giving it. The only memorable moment in the last 30 years of opposition party responses was Jindal's Watergate.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: The insta-poll showing how viewers were impressed (or viewed favorably or whatever it was) by Trump's speech.

Has there ever been an insta-poll after a SOTU (yeah, yeah, this wasn't officially one but ... still ... ) that didn't show viewers thought the POTUS did a good job?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What most folks don't remember was that it wasn't the traditional State of the Union address (or, like Trump's last night, the similar speech that takes place in President's first year). It was a September speech on health care reform.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

South Carolina never disappoints. If something is dumb politically, it came from the Gamecock state. It's the Florida of politics.

franticscribe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.