1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Thanks for the link.

I'd say he rejected the premise of the question. Would encourage folks to listen.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

White House takes responsibility for historically black colleges from Ed Department

President Trump moved support for 100 Historically Black Colleges and Universities from the Department of Education to the White House, which fits in with the idea of a reduced role for the Department of Education.

The story also goes into the problems with Betsy DeVos's statement after meeting with the HBCU leaders, calling those schools "real pioneers when it comes to school choice." Most of the negative reaction pointed to her statement as ignorant, failing to understand the origins of those schools as the only option due to segregation.

I wonder if it wasn't ignorance that caused this misstep by DeVos, but perhaps just a clumsy and foolish attempt to deceive. Maybe she did know better, but hoped the American public would buy into her bullshit. She thought she could use them to push her own agenda of school choice, the facts be damned.

Neither option looks good, but either is possible.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Trump clearly intends to deliver on all his promises by lying about what he delivers. Some of it he may actually deliver. The things he doesn't, he'll claim he actually did or say the Democrats with virtually no power stopped him.

Trump lies as a strategy, then calls anyone who spots a lie the enemy. Then he relies on his media and voters to believe him

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

She isn't still mourning Mary Tyler Moore's passing?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

DeVos meant it actually as she said it. She's going to make the argument that public schools are failing black Americans and choice/vouchers/charters is the only way out of it. Then she'll hold up the HBCUs as a beacon of that and, again, expect more people to believe it than not.

I don't like DeVos. But she's not a dingbat. This whole administration intends to turn "what you think you know" on its head and dare the media - which, remember, is the enemy and needs to shut its mouth - to oppose it.

The gamble is the American people will pick the administration out of deference to office.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yah. Ask Ryan Owens how that turns out. Although maybe you better ask his dad, since Ryan is dead.

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

But look at it this way!! Your wife may get 30 seconds of fame on national teevee as a stage prop! She may even be allowed to sit close enough to the Pretty Princess to touch her!! Hell, Jared Kushner only gets to do that once or twice a week!!

7. YankeeFan

Having watched the speech, what do you think now of the President's guest list?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dumpf has long had his own theories on the intellectual development of the negroid race. He was well instructed on this topic by his daddy the KKK wizard. With HBCUs under the thumb... ooops, direct supervision ... of the White House, he will be better able to test these theories.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What'd you think of him including every person living in a nursing home as "out of the labor force?"

11. YankeeFan

Ugh.

Ok. That wasn't great. There are much better ways to make the point.

Some 20% of healthy, working age, African-American males are out of the work force. That's a tragedy, and it causes problems that will last for generations.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As to this answer, it's interesting.

It's a lovely outpouring of sympathy for SEAL's widow, but had it been Obama doing that, the cry would have been "the SEAL died in vain! How dare the president put his widow in the middle!"

I am - I'm not kidding here - profoundly unsentimental. (As is Trump, I think.) I believe in empathy as a matter of principle and what I'm called to as a Christian. If I wasn't a Christian, I'd be a unsparing and grim a soul as there'd be, I'd imagine. So those moments don't hit me the way they do others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.