1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Those males are largely in prison, no?

That they're in prison - and here is where the unsparing, unsentimental side of me comes out - is part of why our murder rates are down. It's also why state budgets are busting at the seams

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pundits are idiots. If we fired every one of them tomorrow, all the better.

FileNotFound and poindexter like this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Generations of inbred racism?"
    George Wallace, Leander Perez, Lester Maddox, Bull Conner, Robert Byrd ... the sordid list from pre-Civil Rights law goes on. Democrats all.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really, what the hell does it matter whether they have an R or a D behind the name? They were racists. That's all that matters.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean they belonged to the left

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Strom Thurmond? Jesse Helms?

Southern reactionaries used to identify as Democrats for, um, historical reasons. Now they identify as Republicans. But the reactionary (and racist) impulse remains the same through time and changing labels. Using what Southern Democrats did more than a half century ago to label current party members as racist is intellectually dishonest. You may as well issue murder warrants to people living in a house a killer used to own in 1962.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I know plenty of democrats who are racist, too. They hate white men. Not all, but some. And to act like that is not a real thing is naive. I hate Trump and I voted for Hillary and Obama (at least the second time). But the idea that Democrats are so welcoming of "the other" is disingenuous. Both sides can be equally myopic.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Also, like Trump.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

But when it comes to anti-Semites, Democrats are preferable.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Good post BYM. My gf keeps saying that everyone in Congress and key people in the Administration should have kids in the military (thus, forgive the term, skin in the game) before making decisions regarding battles and wars.

She also thinks all world leaders should be female so that there is much less testosterone involved in decisions that can lead to armed conflict.

I've somehow survived this relationship for nearly 17 years. We argued during Valentines Day too. Patraeus vs Clinton. That went nowhere fast.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I always think of James Baldwin's words when I see people who are showy with their emotion, their patriotism or their faith:

“Sentimentality, the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion, is the mark of dishonesty...the wet eyes of the sentimentalist betray his aversion to experience, his fear of life, his arid heart; and it is always, therefore, the signal of secret and violent inhumanity, the mark of cruelty.”

I often need those words as a slap to the face, a call back to reality when I find myself drifting into nostalgia or sentimentality.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.