1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Had to be especially weird for all of the kids involved.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking Shakespearean.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Doesn't get much more NOT COOL! than hooking up with your dead brother's widow.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On the other hand ...

[​IMG]

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

BTE, I know that's not exactly what happened. It's shorthand, not completely accurate. If anything, they fixed the opinion of the American voters, with a not inconsiderable assist from FBI Director Comey. I doubt that Putin ever thought that Trump would beat Clinton, he just wanted to sow doubt and chaos surrounding Clinton, and succeeded far beyond any expectations.

I'm not a Russia expert by any means. I'm just an American who grew up through the Cold War. I'm a news junkie. My opinions have been formed over the years by what I've seen and read. I understand that my media sources are all American/Western, and that my understanding of the issues from the viewpoint of the Russians is at best badly limited. On the other hand, you seem to be in denial about who and what Putin is and how he uses the power that he wields.

I like Terry Gross' show on NPR, "Fresh Air". For my money she's one of the better interviewers working. The show for today, 3/1/17, was with New Yorker editor David Remnick and staff writer Evan Osnos. They just put out an article in this month's issue titled "Active Measures". I urge you and everyone on the board with a shred of interest to listen to it. Osnos was living in Moscow as a correspondent for the NY Times during the fall of the USSR and for several years after. These two guys have detailed knowledge at their fingertips that I'd have to crank up Google to get a shred of. I feel that this interview and the article give a fairly accurate picture of what went on and the motivations. I thought of you as I listened to it, and wondered what your take on it would be. YF, it would do you good to listen to it too, but I doubt it will get past your laundry filter.

Give it a listen.

The New Yorker article is at Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's what Beau would have wanted.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. But Trump will put 5-year-olds back in the coal mines and nursing home residents in the oven to juice up the numbers and make health care work.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

God, I hope you're joking.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't that what they always say?

QYFW likes this.
  11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Uh oh.

Sessions met with Russian envoy twice last year, encounters he later did not disclose

Maybe it just slipped his mind...

Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This needs more than a "like." Well played. Touch 'em all.

UPChip and Ace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.