1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You need to listen to the interview. The three or four paragraphs in that article are lifted from a thirty-seven minute long interview. He spoke about watching the Russian news, in Russian, pretty much daily, as well as about the difference in coverage of Trump for a couple of weeks after the election and after the word went out to soft pedal it. He described how wide open the news was after the fall of the USSR, under Yeltsin, and the changes in the coverage since Putin took over. He mentioned that there was a pretty liberal radio network. He also said that most Russians get their news from television, and that TV news is highly controlled by the government.There is a lot more meat on that bone than what's in that teaser page.

You might not agree with his opinions and descriptions. I truly am interested in your take, because it's different and unfiltered... but given Putin's family history, as well as his meteoric rise, the sort that does not happen unless he is connected. Did you know that his grandfather cooked for both Lenin and Stalin? You wanna talk about being in a position of trust...

He was also talking about how Putin and many Russians felt about what was basically the fall of the empire that they grew up with, the sense of loss, of being unempowered, of being pushed around by the west.

I dunno. I repeat that I'm not claiming any great expertise in Russian scholarship. OTOH, I've heard too many things that have persisted over the years. Putin's critics and opponents as well as curious reporters continue to have a habit of turning up dead.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Neutral Corner

It *should* be a big deal. The problem is that I've watch Trump say and do things that would have gotten an ordinary candidate kicked to the curb and survive. He just brasses it out, lies about it, then scapegoats Crooked Hillary or the Corrupt MSM, and his 38% eat his bullshit up with a spoon like it had hot chocolate syrup and sprinkles on it. The guy has thicker teflon than John Gotti.

poindexter and heyabbott like this.
  3. Jefferson Starship

Jefferson Starship New Member

You don't even have a job.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I will be particularly excited to listen to the prosecutors of Bill Clinton, including Sessions, discuss how this isn't the bad kind of perjury.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Well, actually, it is different ..."

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The John Gotti who died in federal prison?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's time to play everyone's favorite game... Which Exiled Former Former Poster Is This?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Off the subject ... great handle! Although if your posts get too right-wing, Paul Kantner will spin in his grave.

Ride the Tiger!

9. Neutral Corner

You wanna source that?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is a disturbing element of truth to that. But look at the broader context:

67 journalists were killed from 1993-1999, when Yeltsin was president. Of the first 49 homicides in the Yeltsin years, only 2 went to trial. In Putin's first eight years as president, 30 journalist homicides went to trial.

It's not a "Putin thing." It's what former president and current PM Dmitry Medvedev calls a "legal nihilism" that plagues the country.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sessions better hope he didn't lie to Pence about talking to the Russians. That's apparently the No. 1 firing offense in the Trump White House.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not confident enough to wager. Should be a biggie, doesn't mean it will be.

But damn, Trump and his people REALLY like chatting with Russians and they lying about it.

Lots of smoke there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.