1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's definitely a mess all the way around. Obama's heart might have been in the right place, but by ramming it through and "passing the bill to find out what's in the bill," it almost ensured it was going to have rough edges. I also don't think much thought was given to how we're going to pay for it in the long term. Instead of reforming the bad parts of an existing system, he blew it up and tried to start over with something no one understood.
    And now the Republicans are trying to do the same thing, ironically falling into the same pits that Democrats did when they were passing Obamacare. Death panels, anyone?
    I don't know what the answer is, but it has to be better than figuring it out as you go. It's also not helping that Democrats, instead of seeing that Obamacare is going to change in some form, are sitting there giving the double bird to Republicans and saying, "You want it changed, you figure it out," instead of working to salvage what they can and come up with something workable. Maybe that's not even an option at this point, but as you pointed out there are enough different trains of thought on the Republican side that it would seem some coalition could form if everybody really wanted it to.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Journalism 101: This site reported on the immediate news of Khan's cancellation, and included a statement from him regarding why he cancelled. Now come the responsible follow-ups, from journalists asking how and why.
    Khizr Khan’s claim that the U.S. is restricting his travel may be unraveling

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who has the brains in the Republican outfit to make the proper changes, Batman? I have yet to find him.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I find it odd to bash Obama and the Ds for ramming through ACA given the GOP is not even bothering to hold hearings or get CBO scoring.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The single biggest reason that the ACA has turned into such a disaster for the Republicans is that the only plan they had was to oppose it and cockblock Obama at every turn. They've had six years and don't have even the bare bones of a plan. What *should* have happened is that Congress should have hammered out solutions to it - removed what was out right bad, fix what wasn't working right, strengthen the good points. That's what was done with Medicare back in the day. If that had been done they wouldn't have this big lumpy turd to deal with.

That was utterly impossible, of course, because there is no longer such a thing as compromise. If you work with the other party to pass legislation that works, that is good for the country, you get labeled a RINO/DINO and primaried. I'm so sick of Congress being unable to function in even the smallest way.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trumpists: This is your president. Are you proud to have someone like this as leader of your country?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mike Pence is like: I can fake being sane for four years. Give me the ball.

10. tapintoamerica

Right wing Christianity for one. And that's the only true religion according to the party in power these days.

11. tapintoamerica

Why is his claim wild? What's his motivation for lying?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.