1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Some brown people might get some money.

2. They want everything with even the faintest chocolate fingerprint of Mooslim Neegro scrubbed off the face of America, preferably in the next 20 seconds.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Limits on provider income, coverage provided one way or another by assistance of government or flat out by government. This is how every developed country in the world does it except us. We're special because we (or a lot of us) think, if you can't afford to get care, you don't deserve it, because money is how God determines who belongs in Heaven.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

By not spending a million gazillion billion trillion dollars on defense, to start.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Location, location, location.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True. They leave that to us and the polar bears.

6. Michael_ Gee

The polar bears have been moving south in search of land lately. BTW, Canada is one of the NATO countries that meets Trump's demand to spend at least two percent of GDP on defense.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And next it'll be 20 percent.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But those bears raise the cost of education!

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think the crux of the Freedom Caucus/Tea Party/whatever movement has always been a belief that "any public spending or regulation that does not directly benefit me or my family is waste." They decided en masse a long time ago that they were not their brother's keeper, so to speak. From a pure policy standpoint, Obamacare very much is a "my brother's keeper" kind of program -- taxation of the rich to subsidize the healthcare of the poor. And because that Baby Boomer worldview is largely predicated on a much cleaner meritocracy than actually exists in nature, I think (and I think they've been coached) they believe they are being cheated to benefit the "unworthy." And this is just the prime example.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is a quote from Tommy Douglas who brought single-payer health care to Canada and I think it's something many Canadians still believe (though not all by a long shot!).

Oh, and Tommy Douglas is Keifer Sutherland's grandfather.

[​IMG]

Vombatus, Inky_Wretch and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Tommy Douglas was a goddamn saint and should be on our $20 when the Queen goes.

The American health care system is so flawed because it's based on a single horrible principle: that you should be able to turn a profit treating sick people. If you start there, everything else you build will be a gross impersonation of what health care should look like.

SnarkShark, Iron_chet, Ace and 2 others like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Paul Ryan, asked if it bothered him 10 million people would lose health insurance, said "what matters is that we're lowering costs." 1. That's a lie, costs will go up. 2. He's a monster, a perfect example of what's wrong with my country, which I'm less and less convinced can be saved. The worship of money and our own egos is too strong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.