1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Demonizing/opposing easier access to birth control. Stereotyping the poor as worthless leeches undeserving of help. Chafing at the thought of subsidizing health care for the poor. Views typically espoused by folks who oppose abortion without recognizing its complexity. Helps them think that screaming "baby killer!" gives them moral high ground when their views and actions exacerbate the problem as much as anything else.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

No, killing babies exacerbates the problem of baby killing.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That is absolutely not an explanation. I want you to explain what concrete safeguards and safety nets we need to provide. Details.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I respect your passion on the issue. Seriously. I disagree, but understand your passion. I'm friends with many who agree with you.

BUT, health care is not a one-issue situation. No matter how much you try to make it one.

The inital replacement proposal for the ACA is terrible. And will result in people dying who should be saved.

How does that reconcile with your pro-life stance?

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I think it is an explanation, as I referenced safeguards and safety nets that would either reduce unwanted pregnancies or provide financial support for mothers who terminate pregnancies for financial reasons. Sure, it was pretty general, but I'm not sure what details you're expecting when you didn't chime in to question QYFW's simplified view on the issue.

I used to make the annual trip to the Right to Life march. In a perfect world there wouldn't be any abortions. But when you cut affordable access to contraceptives that could prevent unwanted pregnancies, crave health-care reform (for reasons so purely political that you don't even have a viable alternative plan to take its place) that would financially assist a mother who otherwise couldn't afford to take care of a child, or ridicule low-income mothers as welfare queens who load up on gaudy nails on iPhones on the taxpayers' dime, it's hard to take protest to abortion seriously.

I can appreciate and respect where most of the anti-abortion folks come from, truly, and the issue deserves better than my initial, snarky response.

Other than that, I don't have any pie charts, graphs, or spreadsheets to further my explanation so I'm hoping we can agree to disagree or at the very least avoid a big pissing match.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Jesus Fucking Christ

There are actual news folks asking actual Trump staffers questions like "what is his source" or "where is the proof". Both of you are pretending you don't know that Trump is bat shit crazy.

8. Deskgrunt50

Still gotta ask the questions.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you're going to use the rhetoric, own it. You failed to do that.

You also failed to acknowledge deskgrunt's post, which did an excellent job answering your snarky post about the loss of Obamacare. One thing he left out was that we haven't seen the long-term impact of the ACA yet. We likely never will see what it would have been.

Those types of death usually aren't news, though another poster did link a couple of articles that counter your point.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There's hardly a difference in the two plans. But if you know the result is that people will die, #Starbaby thinks you should save them or STFU.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

QYFOS continues to rely on elementary school logic in his put-downs and his posts. The comparison in his most recent post doesn't come close to holding up. Deskgrunt isn't crying murder and doing nothing about it. QYFOS is crying murder, then hiding under his desk.

12. Deskgrunt50

Not getting dragged into this stupid back and forth.

Not my fault the republicans had seven years to come up with a plan and tossed out this piece of shit. And there's a lot more to health care than abortion to most people other than you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.