1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

the trains always ran on time in Nazy Germany, too. But yeah, he's still a disaster and an embarrassment. Jobs and consumer confidence. Yeah, so what? Did he play a direct role in those numbers or something? No. Let's see him actually shepherd some legislation into law or roll out some initiatives that actually have teeth. Till then, he's still a putz. Even when/if he accomplishes anything, he'll still be a putz. You voted for a putz.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a phony eight-run lead built on massive steroid use, and it won't hold up because the closer's arm ligaments are like spaghetti, and there are no other pitchers available.

[/Ragu]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep, we really do need to slash corporate taxes ...

Among the report’s key findings:

• 100 companies enjoyed at least one year in which their federal income tax was zero or less

• 24 companies paid zero taxes in four out of eight years

• 18 companies (including General Electric, International Paper, Priceline.com and PG&E) paid no federal income tax over the eight-year period.

• Collectively, the 258 corporations enjoyed $513 billion in tax breaks over the last eight years. More than half of those tax breaks, $277 billion, went to just 25 of the most profitable corporations.

The 35 Percent Corporate Tax Myth | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump's policies looking better every day:

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have never understood the rationale for "make those damn companies pay more taxes."

Your company gets hit with a monster tax bill, it's going to slash costs.

One of those "costs" could be you.

Think I was gleeful several years ago when Tribune Company lost its appeal and was hit with a $500 million tax bill over the sale of Newsday and the Cubs? Of course not. I knew what it meant.

They settled it last year for a mere $200 million.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Someone pissed in his Coca-Cola last night.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Posturing. The earliest available World Cup isn't until 2026, well after Trump will have left office, either by impeachment, health or, an underrated bet, he just up and quits Sarah Palin-style, not to mention the whole 22nd Amendment. More importantly, FIFA knows that holding World Cup games in American football stadia is a license to print money. Considering their 2018 World Cup is basically a wholly-owned subsidiary of Gazprom and their 2022 World Cup is being built in the desert by quasi-slave labor, I don't think a few immigration issues are going to slow down the flow of those sweet greenbacks or whatever color euros are these days.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Who said anything about making them pay more? I just don't want their taxes to be cut when it's not needed.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Same rationale as take from the rich give to the poor.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Asking them to come up from zero would constitute "more"

11. Inky_Wretch

That's true. I apologize for wanting them to pay taxes at all.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Maybe if it wasn't less attractive for corporations to keep money in the US, they would pay more taxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.