1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it's sweet that politically well-informed people such as this board talk about "distracting" a general public that barely pays attention to politics at all, to the point where 40 percent of them (55 percent in midterms) don't bother to even vote. Last night's story was just more of what most folks experience as white noise.

britwrit likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Taking Trump out of it. ... why someone's tax return is fodder for some people is beyond me. It's a bit different with Trump, because he never outright said, "fuck off," when people tried to make a big deal out of it. I would have respected that. Instead, it was all bullshit with him. The nonsensical, "I am being audited" tact, and then the bullshit and lie that he'd release it if he got elected (he is full of shit).

When you have the assets that he has, and most of your income isn't ordinary income the way it is for most people, your taxes are going to vary from year to year and your effective tax rate is going to look relatively low to most people, who won't understand that by the time the asset makes its way to your personal tax return, it has already been taxed (costing you money) once.

In any case, I have little doubt that this was leaked by him, because it is likely the one year in which he probably unloaded enough in assets to trigger an effective tax rate that would look a bit higher than it typically does for him.

But what difference does it make? There is no badge of honor in handing over your money to the IRS. Few people who actually have any amount of money don't try to minimize what gets taken from them.

Plus, Trump was not the candidate running on nonsensical "fair share" or "soak the rich and hand out candy canes to everyone" rhetoric. So even if he somehow has managed to pay an effective tax rate even lower than that in most years, there actually is nothing hypocritical here. He'd probably tell you only an idiot pays more than they have to. It's one thing he is kind of consistent about -- and there aren't many things he is consistent about.

I never understand why some people make such a big deal about of him releasing a tax return. What do they think his tax return from last year is going to tell them?

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He'll never admit that he leaked them.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

2005 was the height of the housing bubble, so anyone big in real estate probably had a very good year. Wonder what his 2009 return shows.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Local congregations own them. They also hire their own preachers, instead of having them appointed by the statewide governing body, and why a lot of SBC churches are founded by people who want to be preachers. In the United Methodist Church, for example, we have appointments every two (or three?) years. Some reverends might wind up staying for 30 years at one UMC location, but there's no guarantee of that.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I heard this guy on NPR during the campaign, and he made a ton of sense. He simply could not reconcile Trump's campaign promises and attitude with his Christian values. Since most of Trump's voters had no problem with crapping on brown people and the poor, he's now on the hot seat. I appreciate his fidelity to his principles, and I think it's a damn shame that he's on the hot seat over them.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I didn't see the end of the Yellowstone River build, but if you're running out of money, maybe cut back somewhere, huh?

And I didn't get the footings on 'Yurts so Good' the kids in Montana with the two dogs did. No footers, or concrete pad? Won't that shift over time? The guy should go test the bear fence again.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I do agree that Trump leaked it himself, but you can buy those stamps at Staples. The stamp proves nothing.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In the interest of full disclosure, I misinterpreted Trump's tweets this morning. I thought he was comparing leaking tax returns to presidential assassination attempts. Thinking it was weird and random that he would invoke Snoop Dogg, I researched it further and saw that Snoop released a video in which a clown version of Trump is depicted getting shot with a confetti gun. The tweets in question were separate.

But, WTF?

I denounce myself.

UPChip, JC and YankeeFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.