1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you thought that was intentional by Hermes (or whoever he used to be), you are giving him too much credit. He's actually quite defensive about his little Chris Christie fantasy.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You don't think him calling you a "human potato" was a joke? Shocking with your elevated sense of humor.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not any reputable ones, no.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I may not have seen much of the world, but I've seen the inside of a few dozen Southern Baptist churches and the outside of hundreds, maybe thousands, more, largely in the old Confederacy. I have never seen a Rebel flag there, and I doubt you have either. Members of the congregation, yes. On church property? Nope.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don't know how long Johnston had the return or when he got Maddow involved. However, it would not have taken long to review the first two pages of the 1040, understand the basics, and freaking google for some background (he sold two big properties in 2005! He created a big charitable contribution deduction by making his golf course a conservation easement!) I found that information between 8:50 and 9:00 last night).

DCJ should have been able to explain a few things that were apparent from the return. He should have been able to explain why it is likely a big alt min tax was triggered in 2005, making it a year in which Trump paid a significant tax. He could have mentioned the $100 mm loss that was on the face of the return and the probable source of that loss. He could have pointed out the "client copy" stamp could be evidence the return came from Trump himself, then explain why it could be beneficial to Trump to provide this particular 1040.

He could have clearly explained what other schedules, statements, return attachments would have information relevant to Trump's potential conflicts of interest.

They hyped something of limited value and failed to report what value could be found.

(full disclosure, I am not a fan of DCJ)

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This gives some of the timeline:

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In a bygone age, that was called "reporting"

FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nope, I haven't. But would it shock you if some 15-20 member church in the sticks had one flying over the cemetery out back because there was Confederates buried there?

Regardless, I was glad they did pass that resolution - even though I'm not a Southern Baptist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.