1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wrong. They got $10,000 in 2014.

County of Rockland, New York :: Rockland County Announces $1.1 Million In Federal Community Development Block Grant Funding

I volunteer to write grant proposals for a local nonprofit that helps domestic abuse and rape victims. Once you get a CDBG, as long as you do the paperwork each year you keep getting it. You might not get as much as you request. But you'll get something.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

More than 80 percent of my city's "Community Development Block Grant" went to housing and housing rehabilitation. That is what is really going to suffer.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not that I accept your premise, but none of what you posted here changes the fact that you are backpedaling.

The reality is that funding that goes to Meals on Wheels will be cut. The percentage of the program's overall funding that will be lost is certainly in question, but the fact that the plan is to take money from them is not.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if the Rockland County branch of Meals on Wheels weren't to get a grant in the next fiscal year, arranged through their local county government, would be calling that a "cut"?

And, if so, who would we blame?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

“I wouldn't call it paranoia under the circumstances,” said a Republican who communicates with many administration aides through encrypted apps. “It’s not paranoia if people really are out to get you, and everybody actually is out to get everyone else.”​

Trump making an enemy of the intelligence community is gonna go down as his biggest misstep. Trying to bully those folks is tantamount to suicide.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, it gets "CUT!!!" some years?

Why can't we sent less money to Washington D.C., and let local communities decide how to spend their money?

It's silly to send money off to D.C. and then have to apply for grants to get it back.

All this means is that the charities who are better at grant writing and at working the local government officials who make the decisions, get more money.

It's a federal program that provides funding to local officials who get to spend the money, and play local hero.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

None of Trump's budget cuts should be too surprising. The Chamber of Commerce side of the GOP has used non-military federal spending as a punching bag for years.

The Republicans' problem is after several decades of bashing social programs, their voters have aged into the demographics these programs serve.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There is no dispute that in Trump's budget, the document that most reflects his priorities, he is attempting to take funding away from an effective program that ensures the elderly are fed.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plucked. Reputable reporting shows that Meals on Wheels programs across the country rely on federal grants as part of their funding mix. The onus is on you to prove otherwise, Mr. Random Guy on the Internet.

So far you've pulled a single quote from a guy who runs the program in the nation's third-largest city, home base to more than 30 Fortune 500 members. And you know what? If they had some federal funding added to the pot, I bet they could do an even better job, because I doubt every homebound senior in Chicago is well fed right now.

Here's a story from the salad days of the sequester talking about how much federal funding was at stake.

Meals on Wheels budget cuts: 'Slowly developing crisis'

I know facts and research are unfashionable right now, but they remain superior to guesswork, antecdotes and things you just completely pull out of your ass.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.