1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Try selling this to all the Trump voters it's going to hurt. Taking things away from people that they've come to depend on doesn't go well.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If a baseball team took one of its nine players off the field, that's 11 percent less.

See how many runs you prevent with only eight players on the field.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Health care doesn't have an identifiable boogeyman to fight. "We must do all we can to keep those illegal cancer cells from invading our red-blooded good cells" just doesn't cause a nation to rally for the cause.

American politics MUST MUST MUST have a boogeyman. We've wasted trillions of dollars in the last 70 years on whatever boogeyman --- real, invented or just exaggerated --- best suited our needs at the moment. In this respect Trump is no different than anyone else in the Oval Office.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing here necessarily, but I don't follow you. My whole long life I've been watching TV ads for charities, agencies, hospitals, etc. that "fight" disease. It's been labeled as the boogeyman since forever. I don't grasp your point.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just another verse in that old favorite: "I'm in favor of cutting government spending, except for my favorite program."

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A hundred times this people. Is it asking too much to understand?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I worked at the Phoenix, the paper's state house reporter, Dick Gaines, taught me a most valuable lesson. "The reason that fat doesn't get cut from budgets is that the fat is there for even better reasons."

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Cancer" isn't enough of a boogeyman?

That's a big part of what NIH does, or soon used to do.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.