1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree. Wasn't the first time cable news oversold a minor scoop, won't be the last. Note that the only promo was a twitter announcement by Maddow. Indicates her total potential audience is much greater than average audience.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"fact"? Typo?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

More fun with classified info:

4. Michael_ Gee

Yes, corrected through edit function. Funny how that second Scotch affects typing skills.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

That should have indicated it would be a bust. Twitter is a giant garbage dump.

6. Michael_ Gee

I agree with that, but the political/commentary-industrial complex are almost all addicted to it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My health insurance costs went up way more than that this year.

It sucks.

That still doesn't mean it's something the federal government should be spending money on.

And, in fact, if it was a priority, Meals on Wheels wouldn't have to rely on the whims of local politicians who dole out these federal funds.

Everyone can make a great argument for why Meals on Wheels is a worthy recipient of funding. I can do that.

No one here has even tried to make the case that the federal government should be funding these worthy local charities.

The federal government has a few mandated roles. Trump's budget reflects that, and it's refreshing to see.

And, liberals in the media don't want to address this point, or even explain to their readers/viewers/listeners that this is even the argument.

They're only interested is demonizing republicans with sob stories.

It doesn't make someone a monster -- in Gee's words -- to think that the federal government should play the role defined for it in the constitution.

8. Michael_ Gee

Steve King of Iowa told a reporter his House Republican colleagues have "been coming up and patting me on the back" following his repeated racist comments this week. For the sake of the honorable conservatives on this board, I sincerely hope he's lying, which is the money bet anyway.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a the biggest boogeyman of all to you and me. It's far down the list in Washington, however, about 236 places behind "being able to blow up the world 456 more times."

10. Michael_ Gee

It took a war in which 600,000 men died to change the Constitution so that humans couldn't own other humans. You can go look up the arguments, many by clergy, that slavery didn't make slaveowners monsters.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Another thing, regarding cuts to the CDC: Zika and Ebola made pretty good bogeymen despite being relatively minor threats.

CDC prevention efforts, which are on the chopping block, include disease surveillance and collaboration with foreign countries on identifying and responding to new threats, like Zika. And Ebola. And pandemic flu.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The role of the federal government is to promote the general welfare. It's right there in that dead guy document we have to worship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.