1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, FCK-Q. I was trying to avoid boring and predictable.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I agree with the strategy and tactics side of that. He's conservative as hell, but he's among the most qualified people that Trump has nominated. The Dems need to keep their powder dry and save the real conniption fit for the next nominee to the Supremes. I don't think Trump will be able to resist trying to place someone truly distasteful on the court now that he satisfied his promise with Gorsuch.

I think that a lot of the opposition is not about Gorsuch per se so much as it is the desire to push back over cockblocking Merrick Garland. There is a very real desire to try to make them pay for that, to rear back and punch a bully in the mouth. They simply don't have the votes to stop him, and in the long term taking the high road is indeed smarter.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not fighting Gorsuch per se, it's fighting the Merrick Garland issue.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That is best accomplished at the ballot box next November, and any special elections along the way.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've read all the arguments in favor of that and still don't agree. Gorsuch is qualified, best I can tell. He should be confirmed on merit. There are ways to tackle the Garland issue, but our country deserves better than a bunch of tit-for-tat bullshit fighting.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The last thing that largely disinterested middle Americans want to see is what they would certainly perceive as petty political infighting. The Democrats have some image reshaping to do in the wake of the election and re-branding as grown-ups wouldn't hurt.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yep. Winning a damn election at the state and congressional levels would be a very, very good first step.

8. Neutral Corner

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not think people here understand how much most Democratic voters want to see total war from their elected representatives. IF the repeal-Obamacare legislation fails to pass, THEN those Democrats might be more inclined to let Gorsuch slide.

10. Neutral Corner

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Is that a reply or a placeholder?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hard to say it'll help. The Republicans have acted like petty children for some time. And they can - they win a lot of local elections. They own and control, if you will, the means of political production.

Dems have to win locally. And it's hard to win locally if you're more interested in picking Democratic candidates through coolness contests than whether they can actually win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.