1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Is anyone mocking him? I find the comment interesting as he is admitting what the left has been saying about them for 8 years. No mocking, just pointing out he was brutally honest.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Brutally honest is not the same thing as "brutal."

3. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I think $7.25/hr is a joke minimum wage, but I agree with you on this movement. I think boiling the issue down to $15 for everyone does a disservice to the problem. For one, removing the nuance leaves the door wide open for blow back along the lines of 'Why should someone get $15/hr for flipping burgers?' I own and operate a pizza restaurant and we pay people well, way above the average in our small, Midwestern town I'm sure. Servers start at $5 plus tips, not $2.13, we advance the pay of hard-working teenagers quickly, we start adults off at $8 and bump them after a month (to make sure they don't flake) with typical quarterly/semi-annual raises, and we've recently created some insurance options for full-time employees.

All of this is to say that I resent the stereotype of lowlife restaurant help (not that you're saying that at all) and recognize that, even in our area of low living costs, the current minimum wage is laughable. A universal, overnight increase to $15/hr simply doesn't seem viable. Maybe if it's done in stages it could work. But I think it's crazy that their should be one fixed wage for people in big cities, rural areas, those working as full-time adults, and those washing dishes for a few hours as teens. I suppose this could be seen as me wanting to have my cake and eat it too, supporting minimum-wage increases but thinking I should face smaller or less frequent increases than businesses in larger areas. But I would wager that, all economic factors being equal, we compensate our staff better than the vast majority of restaurants.

I really hope this doesn't sound self-congratulatory, as that's not my aim at all. I just hope it offers the perspective of a fellow entrepreneur (I'm on here enough to be familiar with the espresso-repair jokes, so I'm sure you can appreciate some of the issues I grapple with). I just fear that the critical thought needed to best serve this issue will be lost in the current political climate. Shoving $15/hr down everyone's throats may not be viable for businesses, but $7.25/hr isn't viable for employees to live off. So should it be regulated at all?

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

What's your delivery range? I'm hungry.

JC likes this.
  5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, we don't deliver. I know it seems crazy for a pizza restaurant, but I promise it makes more sense in our area not to offer it.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

"Fight for $15" is just a name for a (wildly sucesssful so far) campaign to exert pressure on local, state and federal government to pass legislation to raise minimum wages. I don't know of rational people who believe there can or should be a once-size-fits-all rate for all regions.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, if you're just delivering your message to rational people in the U.S., you'll never get a majority.

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Well, can I get a PM of the name of the place?

QYFW likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are not getting an accurate summary of public opinion if all you do is talk to the people eager to shoot their mouths off. That there are a large percentage of ignorant people in this and every other country ain't news. Let's face it. What those people really meant was "I like lies about Obama because he's black. That'll teach the uppity SOB." So fuck 'em. Maybe some fun-loving neighbor could call them at work tomorrow and say, "your house is on fire." Just to see them jump a bit.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I just point out that there is almost always more to the story than what the Western media provides.

And there most certainly was in the case of protests in Russia.

Intellectually curious people should always ask themselves, "Is there more to this than I am reading?"

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Barely two months after his inauguration, Donald Trump’s presidency looks — by any normal and reasonable standard — to be in a state of permanent and deepening crisis. To say that nothing like this has happened before in American politics is already a cliché. But even by the topsy-turvy standards of Trumpian reality, the last week has been astonishing, from James Comey’s testimony on Capitol Hill to Devin Nunes’ desperate attempt to throw the president a lifeline to the crushing, crashing demise of the Republican health care bill meant to replace Obamacare.

Even as liberals high-five each other and hoist glasses of organically produced Prosecco to celebrate Trump’s apparent humiliation across many fronts and the abject failure of Republican “unified” government, it’s worth taking a step back and asking a bigger question: Isn’t chaos and disorder exactly what Trump wants? The obvious catch-22 in my opening sentence is that normal and reasonable standards have never applied to Donald Trump. If they did, I’d be desperately trying to convince you that some catatonia-inducing policy proposed by President Jeb Bush or President Hillary Clinton was an outrageous scandal."

Lord of misrule: Don’t be so sure the demise of Trumpcare is a defeat for Donald Trump

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.