1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But a cop can say he/she saw you texting and give you a ticket? And basically you are beat.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You can get a ticket for using your phone if they see you doing it. But we recently had a case where a woman swerved onto a sidewalk and killed someone in the middle of the day. She was sober so the assumption was distracted driving but since no one saw her with a phone in her hand (witnesses to the accident) her lawyer argued they had no right to subpoena her phone records and won.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

See my revised post. I messed up. I meant to type that it is easier to prove drunk driving than texting and driving.

4. cjericho

Gotcha. I'm not in any way defending texting while driving. Just think it's one of those things that gives cops a little too much subjectivity.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You could fight the ticket by providing your phone records. They would show that you weren't using the phone at the time you were stopped.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This golf thing is catching on:

[​IMG]

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

14 states prohibit using a phone while driving. So, if you have it in your hand and a cop sees you with it, you have some explaining to do.

| GHSA

9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I'm confused about the texting argument. It is pretty easy to prove if one is texting. Look at the phone for texts. What am I missing?

11. cjericho

Yes I know. Cop last week claimed my wife was texting because she picked up her phone to check GPS. They had a road closed as she was trying to get to our CPA's office. Fortunately the cop listened to her and then gave her directions. I definitely hope people stop texting while driving. But I also think the law, gives cops -- especially those in middle-upper class suburban towns where they don't have to worry about a lot of other crime -- a lot of leeway. Yes you can go to court and show the phone records, but most of the time when you get that summons it's not worth the hassle.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if you're texting or doing something else. If you're a driver and a phone is in your hand while you're in motion, you deserve a ticket.

Stoney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.