1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The image of Mike Pence drunk in some bar hitting on women will haunt me for weeks now.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

JDV learned Scoreboard 101 during Happy Hour.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

"We" as in "my family."

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

bigpern23, Big Circus and amraeder like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Mississippi and other red states want to place as many barriers as they can to education lest young minds learn the earth is older than 10,000 years, man is killing the planet by corporate greed and other libruhl beliefs. They take their orders from plutocracy and theocracy and dismiss democracy.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This has nothing to do with Trump. The first amendment might as well not exist when they do this with our rights. All you have to do is say that something someone said, led to something bad. ... and you can turn A LOT of things people say into "crimes." ... This is how despotic governments suppress open exchange of ideas.

Put 10 idiots into a room who decide that something I said gives them license to go out and hurt others. ... and it shouldn't make me responsible for THEIR behavior. Punish the actual crimes, but don't do this.

The crimes here were committed by the people who assaulted others. ... not the douchebag they were all there to see. Just because a lot of us agree he's a douchebag, doesn't change the right to free speech.

Trump should be tried in the court of public opinion. As in, people should have been (and still should be) challenging him by asserting their own right to free speech. This kind of thing has no place in a court of law, though. It's sad that our constitution has lost its teeth to this degree.

QYFW likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

What's wrong with being sexy?
    -- Nigel Tufnel

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

This thing will head to the back burner because POTUS, by law, can't be bothered with it while in office.
    In general I agree. But there is apparently precedent. Remember that all the judge has done is to let it proceed. No rulings on merits for years I would think. May come down to the specifics of the case.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My problem is the fact that we have actually screwed up our justice system to where a court actually lets something like this proceed. That in itself is theoretically chilling to free speech -- because now you can effectively try to shout people down if you don't like what they have to say with a threat of civil litigation that will cost them time and money. I know court cases like Schenck (and I was waiting for someone to trot out the tired "fire in a crowded theater" hting) have put limits on the first amendment. But this is a case in which you aren't even making a direct A to B assertion about Trump's speech causing some kind of harm. Now we have it being extended it to one step beyond the actual speech, as in, "He said something, that caused someone else to do something, that hurt someone else." I really think that you an use that kind of nebulous reasoning to make just about anyone criminally or civilly liable for anything you want to pin on them. It's ridiculous to me.

RickStain likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's still probably a good idea to Be Careful of what you say about Fucko himself.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

BTW, Your influence is spreading. Today's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me made an incest joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.