1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lexi Thompson's delayed penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 2, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Everyone knows the scores. There is a scoreboard online for every tournament for the whole world to see. Why should it matter what a card in someone's pocket says?

Ace likes this.
  2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Call it whatever you wish. It's inexcusable that a player who's played as much competitive golf as Lexi would make such a bone-headed move.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In most regular Tour events, the score you see online starts with a volunteer walking scorer punching a number into a handheld thingy. Mistakes are made all the time, though they're usually fixed within a few minutes. The card can be a useful last resort, I'll give it that. Though I agree with others that we should be past the point where signing an incorrect card is such a kiss of death.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's inexcusable that baserunners get picked off first base, but it happens.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Call it whatever you wish. It's inexcusable that a player who's played as much competitive golf as Lexi would make such a bone-headed move.

It's inexcusable that baserunners get picked off first base, but it happens.

Jim Marshall played a lot of football, too.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nowadays it's called a paper trail.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Right, but the scorecard rule means that you double the penalty based on the random time that someone catches the error.

8. trifectarich

If you think about it, there's a pretty good reason why golf accepts claims from spectators, be they watching at an event or on television, and that is, you can make an argument that it discourages cheating. I can give you a thousand stories of golfers who've rolled their ball out of a bad lie onto a nice tuft of grass when they didn't think anyone was watching, or dropped a ball from their back pocket when they've been unable to find their original, only to have someone yell, "I saw that."

Is it a perfect system? No.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Analogizing the pro tours with what other golfers may play is silly. The games are not the same no matter how much people want to claim 'We play the same game. It's like we are equals.'

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's similar to when people say "they'd play for free".

11. trifectarich

If we all were honest all the time, the rules would fit on a postcard. Unfortunately, humans are involved.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Cheating implies intent. You feel it was intentional? I'm not saying it is not a penalty but calling her a cheater is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted