1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's gassing women and children. You want to make an argument, go for it. To laugh off using force as if it's absurd is in itself absurd.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Starman Alert!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back in politics:

1) Nuke option exercised, filibuster over, Gorsuch to gain court seat.

2) GOP returns to ground, chapter infinity: House committee discussing another health care bill that has no chance in hell of passing, but it's what they do best, dammit.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's an extraordinarily tricky thing to pull off a military intervention in that situation without having the whole thing go sideways. I'm not sure if I'd have trusted Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama to do it. I'm not sure if I'd have trusted Ike or George Washington to do it. But I sure as shit don't trust Donald Fucking Trump to do it.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As NPR notes, the "nuclear option" was accomplished not with a bang but with a couple of relatively quiet parliamentary maneuvers that will go largely unnoticed and without outrage and protest by the American public.

Senate Pulls 'Nuclear' Trigger To Ease Gorsuch Confirmation

So I guess many of my far left friends are happy that Congressional Democrats "held their ground" and mounted this filibuster. My question is, what was accomplished by it???

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Made 'em do it. And it's a marker. Next time we're in the majority, expect no mercy out of "traditions" or "norms."
    You can't decide on what to do as a legislator based on the fact most Americans are piss-poor citizens completely uninformed about basic civics. You'd never do anything.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Kushner wears a bulletproof vest over his blue blazer, shoots fear into the heart of ISIS.

"And what better way to terrify the caliphate than by sauntering around in a bulletproof vest that’s been personalized like a pair of Underoos, and then wearing it OVER a goddamn blazer? It’s a sharp look, one that says, “I’d like to make a war, but I’d also like a mint julep.” Imagine how long Scent of a Woman here stared at himself in the mirror with his vest and Malibu cop sunglasses on."
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/look-at-this-fucking-asshole-1794077117

Ace likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure why there are so many stupid tags atop this thread.

But the "Ryan got his chocolate in Trump's peanut butter" made me laugh.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Repiblicans will hold the House for the foreseeable future. That doesn't matter as far as confirmations go, but it means they could block a Dem President's agenda, regardless of the Senate, and without the need for a Senate filibuster.

Which means the filibuster only benefits the Democratic Party.

Logical next step is to do away with it for legislation. Would be just as easy.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's not enough for me.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jared's not packing a gun, but he's got three or four silver spoons hidden away in case things get hot ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.