1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Rickles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna watch a shit ton of roasts this weekend.......lovedhis bit incomedians in cars getting coffee.
    A genuine, true comedian in every possible sense of the word......
    RIP sir......

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Antenna TV showing Tonight Shows with Rickles through Sunday.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Holy shit that's awesome.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I liked Don Rickles. I liked his schtick. But I really never found him that funny.
    Take this roast. He starts with Lawanda Page. First joke (20 seconds in) is a Sanford and Son heart attack joke. Okay. at 0:25 he says that Lawanda is a girl who used to hang around downtown LA saying "Officer?" with a come here sign. What does that mean?
    Then he says that her case comes up Tuesday.. she attacked a dead snail.

I have no idea what that means.

He reminds me a lot of Robin Williams' comedy. A lot of sound and fury, not a lot of laffs. JMO.

Oh, and RIP.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I couldn't find other videos that I've seen before. There was one where he shows up to Dodgers spring training and insults players up the line. That was pretty funny.

More than anything it was the persona of his shtick that was funny.

6. CD Boogie

I never found Robin Williams funny at all, especially after he stopped doing blow. Rickles, on the other hand, could be hilarious.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and then there's

heyabbott likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Huggy and YankeeFan like this.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Someone once told me a comic says funny things and a comedian says things funny.

10. CD Boogie

And a comedienne does neither?

JK. I find plenty of women funny, including Chelsea Handler, Amy Schumer and Charlotte Wilder.

11. albert777

albert777 Active Member

IMO, Don Rickles was an acquired taste that I never acquired. I just never found his schtick to be funny.

Still, RIP. I think I read where he leaves a widow to whom he was married for more than 50 years. In show-biz, that's worth recognizing and respecting.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Some of his life's last work is on YouTube in a series filmed for AARP. He chats with actors and comedians, though each seems more like a backward interview. It's not his best work, but I'll take any Rickles over no Rickles.
    AARP

Draft saved Draft deleted