1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

LOL

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Reuters didn't tweet out:

JUST IN: Syrian chemical attack may have been faked -- Russian envoy

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We also haven't talked much about the Obama WMD intelligence failure.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

You know what else?

This is some vintage Bolton. He does his patented miss-note-badly thing right at the start. Then the rocking background kicks in!

6. Blame Me

Blame Me New Member

Can the moderators rename this thread to include me?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it ties back to the constitution being nearly impossible to change because of how politics works.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Leaves out modern American liberals.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Constitutional amendments come in two kinds, structural tinkering, like the 25th about presidential succession, and policy ones, such as giving women the vote, Prohibition and Repeal. The reason it's hard to amend the Constitution for policy is that the requirements are so severe they require almost a one-party state to pull off. The most significant policy amendments, 13, 14 and 15, were only passed in the last stages and aftermath of a civil war which left one-third of the country with no say at all. This is probably a good thing. If a slim majority was required, the balanced budget amendment would've been enacted and repealed about four times in the last 50 years.

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

You really believe this is true? From where I sit, it certainly seems that many of the "problems" that Trump is dealing with have been self-inflicted. Sure, Syria was messed up before he took office, and I do agree that Obama made a terrible mistake when he publicly drew a "red line" on Assad's use of chemical weapons, and then took no substantive action when it was crossed. But riddle me some of these:

1. His botched executive orders on immigration, which were wrong philosophically IMO (they were transparently singling out Muslims) and rolled out ineptly – almost comically so.

2. Botching the "repeal and replace" of Obamacare. Pinning that on Obama is especially rich.

3. The whole mess started by his tweets that Obama "wire tapped" him because he's "Bad. Sick?"

4. All the lying done by he and his administration on their contact with the Russians. I still personally think there likely wasn't direct collusion, but their constant lying about it certainly isn't helping their case.

5. All the lying he does, period. I think I saw a link from the WaPo (FAKE NEWS) that there have only been three days that he hasn't publicly made an untrue statement (aka a lie). On two of those days, he was golfing.

6. Even on Syria, just last week his administration (through SecState and I think Nikki Haley, but I'd have to check) said publicly that they had no intention of pursuing regime change in Syria. Shockingly, Assad seemed to test that just days later. Coincidence? Likely not, at least according to noted liberals like Rubio and McCain. Then Trump saw some pictures of gassed babies – which, of course, Assad has done in the past – and Trump reversed his Syria policy immediately. That's the kind of thing that happens when a president has almost no principles, and instead flies by the seat of his pants by whatever picture/cable news report/conspiracy web site/"adviser" has most recently been in his field of vision/hearing. So far, the best one could describe as a Trump Doctrine is "Just tell me what Obama did – because frankly I haven't been paying attention – and I'll do the opposite."

He's making many of his own messes. To suggest that the problems he's dealing with "all festered" during the previous administration is ludicrous IMO.

Don't feel like you need to reply to each point, because frankly I think that will end up being, well, pointless. But of course, you should do whatever you think is right. I'm not the boss of you.

Iron_chet and BadgerBeer like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When Clinton did this it was "Wag the Dog".

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hey, Tweeter. How 'bout posting your own thoughts for once.

I'm changing my profile pic to a tweeter, just for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.