1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kind of assumed he was going to give up a game-tying homer to the next batter. Nice outing from Pineda. Would love to see him pitch more consistently this season. Last year, batters hit something like .400 off him in 2-strike counts. It was infuriating.

Morrison hit a replay home run to chase Pineda. Glad they got him out of there before it gets any worse.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Just seems to lose command and/or concentration. His stuff is very good. Didn't know that 2-strike stat, but always seemed like he would dominate for 3 innings then unravel in one inning.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looking back on that Angels game, even more remarkable than the 9-3 comeback was that it was 9-5 with two on and two out (i.e. tying run not even at the plate yet). They sent five more batters to the plate after that.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Correction, they batted .325 against him with 2 outs, not strikes.

Looked it up and here was his slash line with two outs:
    Pineda: .325/.383/.598
    MLB avg: .241/.319/.395

He was about MLB average as a pitcher with 2 strikes agains the batter, which was a pretty severe dip from his performance with two strikes in years past:
    2011 .136/.203/.210 (59 OPS+)
    2014 .176/.200/.239 (73 OPS+)
    2015 .202/.244/.349 (86 OPS+)
    2016 .187/.246/.286 (104 OPS+)
    MLB AVG .176/.246/.276 (100 OPS+)

Guy just doesn't seem to concentrate when he's got the upper hand.

EDIT: Now that I'm down the rabbit hole on how frustrating Pineda is, he gave up 52 of his 98 runs with two outs last season. 52! Saw that league average was 36 percent, while Pineda was 53 percent.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The wheels really fell off for their young closer, Edwin Diaz. He may have great stuff and he was dominant at times in the role as a rookie, but he is still a 23-year-old with a very limited track record.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. cjericho

He is frustrating to watch, although the M's fans have be more upset with what they got from Montero.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My friend posted on FB he was going with his wife and son. After I watched the ninth inning, I message him to ask if he left early ... but I already knew the answer. Among other things, this guy has missed:
    -- The Kirk Gibson home run.
    -- ASU beating USC in football with two touchdowns -- including a final-play Hail Mary -- two years ago.
    -- And yesterday. He left after the eighth inning.
    I always preach NEVER LEAVE THE GAME EARLY. My daughter bought in. We never leave early.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I learned my lesson many years ago at the Herald. Had a pregame column assignment, went to Fenway, did it, and started watching the game. Had things to do at home, so I wasn't intending to stay. In the fourth inning of a 0-0 game, Twins pulled a triple play. So I figured I'd seen all this one had to offer and left. That's how I was able to hear the Twins pull another triple play on my car radio. Only game in major league history with two of 'em. Now I stay until they bring the infield tarp back out.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Buster Posey just drilled near letters on batting helmet by 95 mph pitch. He's out of the game.

11. cjericho

Damn. A World Series game???? Seriously??? My buddy and I sat through Game 1 of the 1996 WS as the Braves kicked the Yankees dicks in the dirt. Can understand a weeknight game in April or May, but a WS game? Some fans wait years for their team to make the WS.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Someone must have been lighting a mup without proper ventilation.

From my vantage point, the most remarkable part was that the Tigers bullpen didn't do that.

Detroit now 4-2 after Justin Verlander battled Chris Sale to a draw and the Tigers scratched out the odd run on an eighth-inning RBI single by Nic(holas) Castellanos.

Draft saved Draft deleted