1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"One time a thing occurred to me, what's real and what's for sale ... "

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This would perhaps be relevant if Obama had flown five states away to turn an NBA or Division I basketball arena into his weekend headquarters three times a month (and was playing basketball four hours at a stretch.)

I do think the government should go ahead and install a golf course, maybe even 36 holes, at Camp David. Trump is hardly the only president to enjoy golf and (Starman notwithstanding) the chief executive ought to be able to enjoy leisure activities while balancing security needs.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not lecturing anyone on anything.

Just expressing the fact that an objectively shitty, assholish blowhard president will logically generate more negative coverage than an objectively mediocre yet amicable one.

Riptide likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know who you think is a good media critic.

Folks love to play the "you didn't play the game" card on me, which is hilarious in itself, given what you guys do/used to do for a living.

So, tell me who you think is both informed enough on the subject, and who does a good job.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's cool, but that's the other side of Maryland. Camp David is practically up in Gettysburg.

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Of course. But the points about things like Gitmo not being closed are legitimate. A one-sentence non-denial denial doesn't make that look better.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nestled in the Catoctin Mountains, minutes away from beautiful Mount St. Mary's College and the shortest player in D-I, 5-5 Junior Robinson!

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I never said they weren't legitimate, but let's stop pretending he was never criticized for it.

He was.

A lot.

From both sides.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No comparison. For one thing, pick up basketball takes no more than two hours out of the day. Golf requires five hours on the course alone. Add travel time to and from DC area courses and you've got seven.
    For another, Obama's basketball games were often at the site of appearances or other presidential duties such as the times he played at UNC.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There are two:
    1) Trump's time away from work is far greater than Obama's.
    2) He is playing golf at the clubs he owns, thereby promoting his brand and personally profiting from his office while holding that office. He does so on a level that has absolutely no precedent and should be disturbing to those who want their POTUS to be in it for more than personal financial gain or at least the appearance thereof.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sounds further than it is. You can get from D.C. To the PA state line in an hour by car if there's no traffic. And the president isn't going to be chilling in any I-270 spur afternoon bullshit like the rest of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.