1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, Apr 13, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not sure "way the hell out away from everyone" exists on a 5-square-mile island.

Batman likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are all sorts of islands in the Keys you can buy and build on. There's also another island, right across from Key West, called Sunset Key that is basically the ultimate gated community. Accessible only by boat, and there's 24-hour ferry service to and from Key West.
    Unfortunately, homes there are a little bit bigger than a shack and start in the $4 million range.
    An actual one-room shack in Key West might only run you $750,000.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Florida's high points (good weather, fun major cities, no state income tax) outweigh the weirdness enough to at least keep it off the bottom of the list.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Key West is a great place to visit ...

cranberry likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You probably lost her at "quivering".

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Serious question: has anyone here actually been to Tahoe?

(And I mean THERE, not 15 minutes away.)

Closest I have gotten is Lone Pine to the south, and the Godfather movies.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I was there for a wedding years back. Nice place.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

March last year, I posted that for the first time in more than 25 years, I wasn't 15 minutes from Tahoe, I was in Tahoe. Incline Village to be exact.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if sane is the right word. Mostly balanced out? But things have sunk here in many areas the past 15 years I've been here. It's way overcrowded, by Colorado standards. Traffic, especially into the mountains on the weekends, has become 405-esque. A ridiculous amount of homeless, especially in the downtown/tourist areas.

And yet ...

It's still a great place to live. Best weather in the country. Not prone to many natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, occasional tornadoes) but extremely rare this close to the mountains.

Oh, and the mountains. Yes, we still have those and I can be alone on a trail in 25 minutes from where I live a mile from the State Capitol.

The people in general are mostly sane, but we run the gamut and have our pockets. From Boulder (which sits between the mountains and reality) and Colorado Springs. Political stances run the gamut from the hard-core in Denver and its suburbs to the rural lands on the Plains.

I've lived in California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida and here. All I'm missing is a beach, but I can go back home to SoCal and be there in two hours to get that.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For all its weirdness, more people move there than move away. That by default should remove a state from the "worst" list.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I hope it is Jackson Hole.

Draft saved Draft deleted