1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've always told my wife that if we up and moved right now, it would be somewhere in Colorado. Love both Colorado Springs and Denver. 4 of us went to good friend's condo in Woodland Park late last summer. Great time. She hates the traffic, but I could live in Denver or Springs pretty easily.

MileHigh and justgladtobehere like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With my seasonal allergies exploding right now, retirement in the desert sounds like a very real strategy. Just not sure I can wait 30 years.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Having lived in Florida for many years now, I think there are equally compelling arguments for putting the state both on "worst" and "best" lists.

On the one hand, there's crime, corruption, dumb politicians, bad traffic and poor planning in many of the urban areas and a populace that's heavy on belligerent people, fraudsters and shlubs. The aforementioned weirdness factors is off the charts. Miami-Dade County's government is run like a banana republic; Broward County's government is run like a condo board. In an employment survey of the southeastern counties, "boiler-room operator" no doubt would make the list of most common occupations.

On the other hand -- warm weather, beaches, outdoor sports, lots of fun places to visit. I can hit the road and be in Key West in three hours. Or fly to a tropical island getaway in an hour or two. No state income tax, and the state is in good shape financially. And there's something to be said for simple day-to-day experiences -- such as seeing a flock of parrots on the backyard bird feeder during mid-January, when it's freezing in many other parts of the country. And ... people do continue to move here.

And the weirdness factor is often good for a laugh or two. As proof, I offer up the recent example of a co-worker who went to an anti-Trump protest in West Palm Beach and found himself face to face with ... Casey Anthony.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    britwrit and Batman like this.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Casey Anthony is anti-Trump?
    That cannot help the Dems during the mid-terms.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Almost as bad as Lena Dunham.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The faces of progressive politics in the US:
    Lena Dunham-Casey Anthony for the White House in 2020.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Casey Anthony could knock Putin unconscious with chloroform, duct-tape his mouth and nose, then leave him in the woods to suffocate.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or, the first time they have a summit meeting, Lena Dunham could just lift up her shirt and watch Putin's face melt off like the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I Should Coco and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There aren't really any bad places to live in the state unless you're starting 15 miles east of I-25 and go east. And I scoff at the bitching about the traffic here because I grew up in SoCal and know what traffic is. Plus, I don't really have to deal with it because I live two miles from my office and my commutes are at 4:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Does it get cold? Of course. And we get the occasional big snowstorm, though this winter didn't help to drive out the newbies since we're having our least snowiest winter on record. But I love the four seasons. The fact that I've worn shorts in February and a heavy jacket in June. The (mostly) clean air. The (mostly) sane people, Holmes and the Columbine douchebags notwithstanding. The enormous amount of outdoor activities.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

A high school friend of mine who was a flight attendant for many years (OK, it was with United, but don't hold that against her) and her husband retired from Chicago to the Longmont area a year or so ago. If her Facebook posts are any indication, they love it there.

And considering it's home to the Left Hand brewery along with Colorado's many other attributes, I'd probably love it there, too.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Florida's a pretty diverse state. It'd take me over 10 hours to get to Key West from my neck of the woods in Florida. I can get to grandma's in NE Louisiana faster.

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Careful there, Mile High. From the I-25/I-70 intersection it is only seven miles east to the city limits of Aurora.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted