1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bochy has heart surgery and will miss Kansas City series.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy undergoes heart surgery

He had surgery a couple of years ago and was hospitalized last year for heart trouble. It makes you wonder if he might have to hang it up even though he's only 62. But then he seems like one of those guys who would be plenty happy keeling over in the dugout too.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pirates' Marte suspended 80 games

I guess Starling Marte was hoping to regain some of that power that disappeared last year? MLB suspended him for 80 games for the use of Nandrolone, a synthetic steroid.

3. LongTimeListener

Cam Heyward update to follow?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is a good thing, not a bad thing:

5. outofplace

Want me to check on his recovery for you? Last I heard, he was going to be fine for OTA's.

(Silly me, thinking the suspension of an All-Star outfielder for 80 games was news.)

6. LongTimeListener

It was news on Page 32. And more news on Page 33.

JC likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another interesting note is that third base umpire Hank Soar was an excellent former NFL player with the Giants. Looking up his info, he caught the game-winning TD pass for New York in the 1938 title game against Green Bay, was a tough defensive back against Sammy Baugh, and was one of the first two players to be fined by the league, because of a fight he got in.

Soar also coached the Providence Steamrollers in the first season of the Basketball Association of America (the forerunner of the NBA).

Guy was a three-sport threat.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  9. outofplace

Breaking news atop ESPN's homepage at the moment you were posting your clueless snark.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And also posted earlier by Steak.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. outofplace

LTL's point was clear as mud. Thank you for clarifying. I missed Steak's post.

12. outofplace

Missed this, too, though there is no comparison. Marte admitted guilt by the time most people had heard about the suspension.

You still think I'm a Braun fan? You'll find evidence of that the same time you find that post you've been hunting for since that whole argument began.

Draft saved Draft deleted