1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, first of all, I think lots of "media critics" are good, including who play them on here.

Second, the media's always tough as hell on the media. This isn't about being soft on the media. Nobody on this board has been harder on the crown prince of sports journalism and his boutique sites than I have.

Third, it's my belief - to which you may insist I'm wrong, and maybe I am wrong - that you're not really a media critic, who hopes for some particular ideal that the media can consistently meet, as someone who chooses to, y'know, take it down a few pegs.

That's what I mean by "knows the words, but not the music." Based on your posts, my read is that you think American journalism is not predominantly an honorable, worthy calling, but a predominantly a fetid, rotten thing - more fetid and rotten than just about anything, frankly - and part of your mission is to point that out, repeatedly.

Which is fine. I've never written "hey, get the hell out of here" to you. I think I've told Tony to log off a few times; there was something broken about whoever that was, that was unhealthy for the board and the poster make those posts.

A critic, a good one, has to love the thing they're criticizing a little more than what I've seen, is the point. A film critic loves a lot of films. A music critic, shit, that person tends to love too much music. But, anyway, there's a love for it.

Riptide and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thoughtful post. Although it seems YF exposes himself to much more media than the average non-media member and even many in the business.

Songbird likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hernandez killed himself rather than visit the White House today, THATS a political commitment that needs to be honored

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Shit, and the rest of the Patriots didn't follow suit.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

7. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I thinks she's funny, but she's just way too bombastic in her current format. I always looked forward to her on TDS but I have pretty much stopped watching Full Frontal.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've never taken @YankeeFan to abhor American journalism or consider it a fetid (lol) rotten thing.

Part of his mission is to point out hypocrisy in the sausage making of American journalism.

His assessments/criticisms might be wrong sometimes but he's on-target most of the time.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You can't possibly be serious about this. If you are kidding and your post was sarcasm, I apologize.

He shares and supports awful reporting time and again when it supports something he likes. His commentary is almost always negative when the subject is politically neutral. He constantly babbles on about the evils of the liberal media. I don't know or care if he hates American journalism, but it's all about the agenda first with him.

lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

LOL.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you for your completely useless post. Please note I allowed for the possibility that Songbird meant his post sarcastically.

Of course, you probably think your hero YF is fair and balanced.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.