1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, Apr 13, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Really appreciate your efforting in this regard.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've driven that road many a time, although not in many years. It always struck me how different states have different indicators of decay.
    Tennessee was the dilapidated farmhouses and barns that line I-81 and I-75.
    Alabama was an ungodly amount of blown out tires littering the sides of the road.
    Mississippi's interstates are too rural to really show it, but if you travel U.S. 61 through the Delta it's old, rusting school buses in front yards. Every other farm has one for some reason.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Where is the awfulness in Virginia? I have been all over the state except for the portion below Charlottesville to the NC line.

As an aside, I am utterly fascinated there is a city named South Boston in Virginia. Have to imagine its nothing like the South Boston I know. They should have a reality show in which residents live in the other place for a month.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, there you go. That's the part that sucks.

Save for Roanoke-Blacksburg and the Shenandoah Valley, you can pretty much assume anything south of Richmond and/or west of Charlottesville is terrible.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Cheap storage that doesn't count (for tax purposes) as a property improvement.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Housing for unemployed, drug-addled kin.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm more than somewhat familiar with SoBo, Virginia. It would definitely be a culture shock for both.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How about a show where Gee and Tucker switch places for a year?

Big Circus and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I would pay good money to watch that. Gee would likely need a translator for Ward Burton.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A guy who lived down the hall from me in college is from South Boston. He is the only guy I ever met whose family business was selling fire trucks and fire equipment.

you can pretty much assume anything south of Richmond and/or west of Charlottesville is terrible.

Had lots of friends from Southampton County, which is definitely south of Richmond. They said Franklin was a great place to grow up.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does anyone not need a translator for Ward Burton?

Big Circus and expendable like this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Uh, wrong. Go on the Route 151 wine and beer trail and get back to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted