1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

We took the boat ride over there for lunch on one of our visits. Afterward, we took a walk around the island. Aside from resort employees and landscapers, there wasn't much human activity -- probably because we visited during August, when the rich and famous spend their time in cooler climates.

Don't know if the reports were/are accurate, but the word a few years back was that Oprah and Madonna owned vacation homes there.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a little too far from the hoi palloi for my taste. But they blocked off all these condos and we went in with a bunch of people so we could all be together. Not a place I'd choose to stay for vacation, that's for sure

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Compared to most of Florida -- and certainly Lower Alabama -- Tallahassee is a gem.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure. There are so many private islands for sale in the Keys, that for people that -- those with an unlimited budget, a need for privacy and security, and who aren't exactly doing touristy stuff in Key West -- it might almost make more sense to buy one of those and build on it from scratch or improve what's there.
    We picked up one of the Land & Homes magazines the last time we were there, and there were a surprising number of houses for sale on Sunset Key. I would say at least a dozen, off the top of my head. They started around $3.5 million and went up to about $8 million.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And I bet you are a Democrat. It is a trend now for people to move to places where the population has similar sympathies.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Was raised by two office-elected republicans. Never voted for a democratic presidential candidate till obama in 2012. I'm a registered independent. I can't stand the kind of partisan posing we see from the likes of Yankee Fan. It's poisonous and stupid. I like Colorado and Vermont for the scenery and outdoor sports options mainly, not because I'm a tree hugger or a Bernie bro.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

#Centristpost

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

South Carolina: Beautiful in many parts. I-95 between Columbia and the Georgia state line isn't one of those parts.

BTW, seasonal allergies in places like Phoenix can be awful, since everyone seemed to bring their flora with them when they moved from the East or Midwest.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I-95 doesn't go through Columbia. That's I-20 ... If you were southbound on I-95 and wound up going through Columbia on the way to Georgia, you got on I-20 in Florence. Had you stayed on I-20 for, oh, forever, you'd have turned right off the off-ramp here in Deploraville and been at my front door in five minutes.

11. doctorquant

Here's somewhere in South Carolina that's not in Charleston, but I'm having a hard time finding the "[r]ed dirt, heat, overgrown shit, snakes, red dirt, snakes, various types of agriculture, heat, more snakes, red dirt and heat" to which @Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!! referred.

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. doctorquant

And more not-Charleston ...

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted