1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

On the liberal side, I'm told someone up north prefers old marching band uniforms.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The year Lance Armstrong won his 5th Tour de France, I wore my George W. Bush for President t-shirt on the last day, along the day Champs Elysees. Boy did I get a lot of dirty looks, and at least one old French lady yelled at me.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

DHS made the false claim -- that his DACA status expired in 2015.

Overall, I don't disagree with you that reporters should be able to fully wrap their heads around an issue before reporting on it. But there's more gray area here than you're admitting.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You have no idea if that's true. Pulling it out of your ass. And he's hardly the only member of the campaign with Russian ties.

5. YankeeFan

Hold on now. DHS responded incorrectly, in the face of a media onslaught, based on a false claim. Again, shocked.

They got it straightened out 24 hours later. Meanwhile -- despite any evidence -- the false claim spread like wildfire, thanks to the media, who didn't even make an attempt to verify his story.

6. YankeeFan

What do I not know to be true?

The story you linked to says Trump was given Page's name in preparation for a WaPo interview, in which they knew he would be pressed to name some og his foreign policy advisers.

Because establishment types were unwilling to work for the campaign, and because Trump has said things like he got his info "from the shows" and that he was his own adviser, this was becoming an issue.

Trump named Page because he had a PhD. next to his name.

Trump had not met with him. Couldn't have picked him out of a lineup.

Page was a nobody. Had no influence.

But, the Russians didn't know this. So, based on his being named a Trump adviser, they invite him to give a speech at a prestigious Russian University.

And, surely, some of the folks he interacted with on that trip were, ore were connected to, Russian intelligence.

But,

A. Page was unaware of this.

and,

B. Even if he had wanted to help the Russians he met gain influence with the campaign and/or the candidate, he wasn't in a position to do so.

C. There's certainly no evidence that Page helped anyone.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You people have made me sad.

I wrote letters in 1972 to CBS, NBC and ABC asking if I could work as an intern at the 1972 Conventions. I wasn't old enough to drive a car at the time.

I got a very nice rejection letter from CBS that I've always kept in my copy of "The Powers That Be."

I just went to get it and reminisce, and it's not there. I've no idea where it could be.

This stinks.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who plays YF in All the President's Men II ?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Stories about who Cory Booker might be dating are going to be more pathetic that "how cool does Chelsea look!" stories.

Is this what he thinks he needs in order to run for president?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

IMG_0883.JPG
    Which one is YF

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Such a jealous little tryhard.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, I'm in France, and I haven't followed this thread at all, but WTF? What's your point? Or is the sight of any pol you don't like just funny to you on principle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.