1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Paging MLB Network. Karl and Jayson would make great additions to your staff.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Once interviewed for a baseball gig at ESPN and one of the editors said Stark was a first-class dude, but pretty brutal to edit. Not sure why he told me that, considering I wasn't even in house. But now every time I see Stark I'm reminded of that. He's a future Spinks winner IMHO. Cooperstown-bound.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jaw dropping. There are few reporters in baseball who deliver more for the dollar than Jayson.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

There was one name I was hoping not to see come up today, as he was my former SE and a damn good guy to have a beer with. His name just came up. Once more names came it, I could kind of see it coming because he was mostly a reporter and writer and the trend was leaning that way. Still really sucks.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sounds as if they are working their way up to the "personalities." Trent Dilfer also cut loose:

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Trent Dilfer is out.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Was literally on LinkedIn and got a message saying wish so and so well on their anniversary with ESPN. Glad I held back and checked bc, yup, they got let go today. brutal

dixiehack likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's the biggest draw, but I always thought football coverage at ESPN was overstaffed. It seems like they had been thinning the ranks of ex-players over the last few years, but it still appeared bloated.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Some times you don't have to overthink things. ESPN pays the NFL $100 million dollars for each and every MNF game. And the NFL gives MNF the dregs. Rams-49ers. Colts-Jets. Bears-Vikes.

Yeah, I know. Espn gets to use NFL footage for their blab shows. You think that is worth $1.6 billion every year?

Oh yeah. They get a playoff game. That usually involves a Texans team with a qb shitting the bed.

Not only should whoever negotiated that contract be fired, they should be executed.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me everyone seems to go out of their way to say how much they love/d ESPN. Maybe that's standard operating procedure when getting laid off, but just something I noticed.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

On the timing of this...it's a pre-draft news dump, right? They're hoping draft coverage sweeps this away quickly?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

College football writer Ted Miller out:

Draft saved Draft deleted