1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is how it's done:

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not trying to start something, just looking for an explanation:
    Why when these big names get let go, do people say "So and so will be a perfect fit at NEW NETWORK?"
    But in place of who? And at the cost of who's career?
    Guys like Ed Werder and Jayson Stark have done tremendous work for a long damn time. But maybe MLB Network or NFLN should try and groom someone to be the next Werder or Stark instead of bringing in an old one. I've never quite understood why everyone's quick to say "get this person who's been in the business for 40 years and was just making 200K a year a job ASAP" where there are plenty of people who have been around who would kill for the same opportunity but haven't been given a chance.

gravehunter and Liut like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rhody, nobody is going to be better at being Ed Werder and Jayson Stark than Ed Werder and Jayson Stark.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This feels like the end of a dream for many youngish sportswriters out there today. I've talked to a few who are now wondering what's the end goal? Will there be good, well-paying jobs to dream of in 10 years? Five? Two?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're wondering that now?

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Today certainly added to that feeling.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Werder and Stark aren't the examples I'd use. They're very, very good.

But, no, other news outlets shouldn't just hire ESPN cast-offs to hire them. That's not good for anyone.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a reflex more than anything else, like it's somehow more substantial to offer that than "I'm sorry." You're not breaking any new ground -- Stark would have been a great fit for MLB Network a week ago, too -- but you feel like you're somehow offering a solution.

Rhody31 likes this.
  9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Kevin Youkilis makes a very good point here.

EDIT: The tweet he was responding to

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know I asked uptopic, though, and I'll ask again (not aimed at you, Inky): How do you conservatively cover sports?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

ESPN's increasingly liberal slant may end up killing it, but today's firing only served to make it stronger. The bulk of today's layoffs hit employees who had no "voice."

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per the Deadspin link, Dilfer ... but this post is probably a d_b by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted