1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

E6PN.

DanielSimpsonDay, dixiehack and Chef2 like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Independent of any political/legal (e.g., antitrust) issues, being completely vertically integrated can be an awfully bad play. I have to believe that FOX or CBS or NBC have certain competencies that they bring to the table that the NFL, on its lonesome, would have a hard time developing. And even if that weren't the case at this particular time, there's little chance that would remain the case over time, because things change in a hurry. A really good way of ensuring you miss out on something is to buffer yourself, via vertical integration, from the broader market.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any new names come through in a while...has the bleeding stopped?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean that at all. By your logic, because ESPN decided Bill Simmons wasn't worth X, no other outlet would think he was worth X. Same goes for Skip Bayless. ESPN decided he wasn't worth X, and Fox Sports decided he was. In fact, there's more evidence for an argument that somebody's market value increases by having worked at ESPN: Olbermann, Eisen, Patrick, Reynolds, etc, etc. I suspect the Werders and Starks will have little problem in the short term landing a job. Even if they don't land at their league networks, some local outlet will hire them because they've built enough of a brand for themselves that some higher up will see it as a prestige hire, a la the Indy Star and Wetzel.

Long term, yeah, under the current model, Stark and everybody else in this business aren't worth what they're making.

cjericho likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jeff writes better when he doesn't think about it and turns the spigot on full blast.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was just contesting the notion that, e.g., Werder will be snapped up immediately by some other network. It strikes me as unlikely that some other, lesser, network can take a Werder and make $200K off him when ESPN, at present, can't. Possible, but unlikely.

EDITED TO ADD: Boy, that phrase "take a Werder" ... that's a peach, hun.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

ESPN is notifying the next of kin first

Liut likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of diet Jemele Hill is on, but she needs to incorporate a dose of SHUT THE FUCK UP into it.

Liut likes this.
  11. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How has Britt McHenry survived this purge?

Draft saved Draft deleted