1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the record . . .

QYFW has 665 likes in 1,927 posts (.345 like average)
    OOP has 881 likes in 43,902 posts (.020 like average)

SnarkShark, QYFW and HC like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's just a member of a Nazi group. It doesn't mean he's actually a Nazi.

Iron_chet and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Neither do "agley" and "joy" ...

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's my favorite stat, because while @MisterCreosote is the board's Ted Williams in that category and I'll never get to that level, I have a decent Hall of Fame case if people value it enough.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Since Dick W is still on hiatus, I'll start the thread --

Jake_Taylor Hall of Fame poster?

I vote yes

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Everyone here is an expert on anti-communist groups in Hungry.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Webster likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many people in the Fucko Administration have ties to Nazi and white-supremacist groups ... That Can Be Explained Away.

Sort of.

Starting of course with Fred Trump the KKK wizard.

When America was Greatest, we made it a national priority to KILL Nazis.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Those people know Donald Trump isn't going to make their lives better. They don't think anyone can. But he pisses off the people they hate like no one ever has, and they adore him for that. You see ample evidence of it with some of the more toxic personalities on this board.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I love that BTE actually bothered to look that up. I guess I'm a compiler.

Anybody remember how long we've been able to like posts? I thought that started only a couple of years ago.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There really isn't any "looking it up" involved. Just a click on the name, and boom, it's there.

Upon further review, however, it does seem like a bogus stat in that likes are a relatively new sj.com addition.

Mizzougrad96 is/was 0 for 56,143, according to his profile.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

By such logic, someone whose membership in the Klan is acknowledged by other Klansmen but who says or writes nothing else publicly about other races can't be termed a racist.

Gorka, who pledged his loyalty to the United States when he took American citizenship in 2012, is himself a sworn member of the Vitézi Rend, according to both Gyula Soltész -- a high-ranking member of the Vitézi Rend’s central apparatus -- and Kornél Pintér -- a leader of the Vitézi Rend in Western Hungary who befriended Gorka’s father through their activities in the Vitézi Rend.

Soltész, who holds a national-level leadership position at the Vitézi Rend, confirmed to the Forward in a phone conversation that Gorka is a full member of the organization.

“Of course he was sworn in,” Pintér said, in a phone interview. “I met with him in Sopron [a city near Hungary’s border with Austria]. His father introduced him.”

The organization is so toxic that membership therein precludes people from entering the country. In other words, our government, which has done more research on them than you or I, doesn't buy this idea that they're nothing but an anti-communist outfit.

LOWEY: Well, I was really shocked that someone like Sebastian Gorka should be part of this administration. He has ties to the former prominent members of the anti-Semitic Jobbik party in Hungary; founding of the New Democratic Coalition in Hungary, which is a party that is referred to by watchdog organizations as racist, anti-Semitic; public support for the Hungarian Guard, the paramilitary group known for anti-Semitism and threats to other minorities. And in fact, there are even reports out there that he is a sworn member of a Nazi-allied far-right Hungarian group known as the Vitezi Rend.

So I can't understand that this kind of a person should work in the White House advising the president on counterterrorism.

Walks. Talks. Quacks.

This is likely far more than "guilt by association." Such a claim would be plausible if he had one brief fling with one group. But that's not the deal here. He has a history of association with such people in advisory capacities. Many groups and many associations.

Let's take this to an American context. Let's say a photo of a person wearing a Klan robe surfaces. The official claims he only wore the robe once and got out shortly thereafter. Specious, but if the rest of his life provides no indication of such involvement, he moves on. (See Byrd, Robert. I'm not convinced Byrd was squeaky clean, but I can see how he avoided further problems.)

But let's say that after wearing the robe, our protagonist becomes an advisor for the League of the South and an advisor to a politician who advocates white supremacy. Let's say this shadowy official also does some consulting for a Militia organization or two.

Through all this time, he makes no public comments. So by the logic espoused earlier, we can't hold him to anything.

What would the right say about a person who belonged to the Communist party, advised a black supremacist organization and had other ties? What did they say about Bill Ayers? That he wanted to overthrow the free-market economy. And they had plenty of ammo in that claim.

But the notion that the Trumpists' hero has never said an inflammatory word about religion is inconveniently false.

Talking Points Memo

"Gorka has made the same arguments himself. He has also said that accepting Muslim refugees would be “national suicide” and that religious profiling of Muslims is a “synonym for common sense.”

That sounds like a generalization to me.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.