1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Frankly, a majority of posters here are probably more well versed in U.S. and global history and more well qualified to be President than that buffoon. At the very least, I'd venture that we're all more intellectually curious than him and would work harder to understand the job.

I'd have voted for you over that dope.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I just want to know how many genocides Trump thinks it would've taken to prevent it.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Coastal Elites (as well as urban elites in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh): Central Pennsylvania fucking Pennsyltucky. Bunch of backwards, inbred idiots, who don't understand the outside world.

Guy who hasn't been outside of Central Pennsylvania in 20 years: Yeah!

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

He was. And in many ways a bad president. I can not defend "the Trail of Tears" even given the attitudes of the times. I think that the National Bank was an undemocratic and imperfect institution but much better than no bank.

But he had a lot of leadership skills and a sense of patriotism that helped preserve the Union in the 1830's. He also helped democratize American society.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

BTW, I'm curious because I hadn't seen this Andrew Jackson stuff over the weekend, what in the hell was the context of that interview? Why did they bring up Andrew Jackson?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, especially if you're allowed to:
    1) Label as "Nazi" or "fascist" anyone who disagrees with you.
    2) Define as "violence" the mere presence in your vicinity of this someone.

8. doctorquant

Talk about damning with faint praise.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

Richard Fucking Spencer is a fucking Nazi.

10. doctorquant

What about Heather MacDonald?

11. YankeeFan

Yes. Of course he was.

Though, in his defense, he wasn't alone in his beliefs. They were certainly of the time.

He's also the founder of the modern Democratic Party. He was widely admired by Democrats for over 100 year. Counties all over America named their annual fund raising dinner the Jefferson-Jackson dinner.

If our new sense of morality means that we can learn nothing about military history, or the history of diplomacy, from those who are defined as racist by today's standards, then we are doing our current leaders a disservice.

Trump was only expressing admiration for certain traits of Jackson's, and not for his racial beliefs.

Or maybe we should no longer acknowledge the military brilliance of Sun Tzu since his views on gay marriage and transgender bathroom policy doesn't match the prevailing view in 2017.

12. YankeeFan

If he visited the Hermitage --as he says he did -- I'm guessing he has some sense of the man's history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.