1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You can't force a player to undergo a medical procedure. They could have insisted (maybe they did), but in the end it's his body.
    “I’m pretty in tune with my body. That’s exactly why I refused to take the MRI. I knew there was nothing happening in there.”

The Met's could have DL'd him, but they couldn't force him to get an MRI.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that is what they should have done, tell him he isn't pitching until he has an MRI. If that means a trip to the DL, so be it.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Easy to say that now, but they entered the series 7.5 back of the Nats and had lost six in a row. Suddenly, they were on the verge of sweeping the Nats and you want them to DL their best pitcher, who steadfastly insists he's fine and is throwing 100mph without an issue during his bullpen session? That's some high-grade 20/20 hindsight.

Granted, the Mets don't get much benefit of the doubt because of their track record of incompetence, but this really was Syndergaard's fault.

4. outofplace

If the medical staff was concerned enough about him to order an MRI, the team needs to make sure that happens before he pitches again.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

No, because he was dumb enough to refuse the MRI and the team was dumb enough to let him pitch without having it done.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know that, just asking if there's any way for them to know medically if / how much he damaged it yesterday. All parties involved are better off not knowing, so even if it's medically possible I'd imagine they wouldn't bother.

9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Of course you want to know if he blew it out while pitching.

10. outofplace

I don't see how it would be possible.

The medical staff should have refused to clear him and the front office should have backed them.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Sadly I must have hit my cap on reading Globe stories. I'm sure that is an entertaining tidbit. Probably not much to do with MLB, aside from the location, but likely entertaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted