1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He just needed one pronto in there.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He has some pretty good chops.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's assholes in every burg on this planet.

lakefront likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

More school choice, less vouchers?

OK. You good with this @outofplace?

The District of Columbia study highlights the charter/voucher contrast in a neat way. The voucher results look so weak — even worse than elsewhere — partly because the city’s charters are so strong. That is, voucher recipients are being compared with children at higher-performing public schools than in the past, and the voucher schools aren’t keeping up.

It’s an argument for a political compromise: fewer vouchers, more charters.

If you’re a progressive, I realize that this compromise may make you squeamish. Progressives often prefer to spend more on traditional schools — which are still crucial — and to trust them.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The more I get into food and cooking, the more I really, really like this guy:

"...people are hungry in this country not because there's not enough food here. It's not because of drought, and it's not because of famine or war. It's because we don't have the political will to make sure that every single person is fed."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As long as the options getting public finding aren't religious schools, I can live with it. I prefer the money be put into improving public schools, but on the surface, I can understand the thinking here.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I wasn't weighing in on the specifics of health care policy. I'm saying the congressman is out of line for suggesting that the sick are sick because they're morally inferior to the healthy.

I'll tell you who should at least have a basic idea of what is in the bill he endorses: your president. And as he proved on Face The Nation, he has no clue. He said the latest proposal covers pre-existing conditions for all. It does not.
    Do we all agree that health care is important? Do we agree that POTUS should know at least the top points of any bill he champions?
    Are you ok with this level of ignorance?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's like trying to rate a third-string QB who is elevated to second-string in Week 9 and then takes over as starter in Week 13.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

First of all, he's only "my" president in the sense that he's everyone's president. So go ahead and get off your high horse on that one.

Second, the congressman didn't suggest "that the sick are sick because they're morally inferior to the healthy." Here's his exact quote: "... thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, they’ve done the things to keep their bodies healthy. And right now those are the people — who’ve done things the right way — that are seeing their costs skyrocketing."

Now, is that a dumb statement? Yes. But it's not remotely as dumb as those who talk about "covering" pre-existing conditions ... with insurance.

Happy?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Charter schools are public schools -- and by definition -- not religious.

Are you familiar with this issue at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.