1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't be silly.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That cartoon encapsulates the lunacy of the way discussions get framed in this country.

If a parent has health insurance and a kid is born sick. ... that kid is going to be covered by the policy. Always has been, the way health insurance was sold in this country for decades.

Take government out of the mess we have created. If you buy insurance for ANYTHING. ... and an insurable thing happens. ... you are covered. If you stop paying your premiums or let your insurance lapse, you aren't covered. If you give up your homeowners insurance and then a hurricane tears through and destroys your house. ... you can't get insurance AFTER the fact to cover the hurricane.

This is the essence of insurance. But in this country. we have been reduced to having "insurance" discussions, when what people are really talking about are entitlements. Nobody wants to discuss it in terms of what it actually is, though, because then we have to discuss the cost of those entitlements honestly.

BTExpress likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That kind of talk could get you banned ...

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What if the parent doesn't have insurance?

What if the parent at some later point gets laid off and then goes to work for a new company and on a new policy?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They get cured by freedom.

Jssst21, HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  8. LongTimeListener

Without Obamacare, what happened to kids like Kimmel's son?

Kimmel said with someone like his son, before Obamacare, "there was a good chance you’d never be able to get health insurance because you had a pre-existing condition."

There are a few wrinkles here, but the experts we reached told us that is largely accurate.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't like this any better than you do but let's not single out the evangelical community. You can't get anywhere in securing votes from African-American communities without campaigning at black churches and getting black ministers on your side. And how many campaigns, political causes, rallies etc., are held at black churches with REV. Al Sharpton and REV. Jesse Jackson leading the way?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If a parent doesn't have insurance, the kid obviously isn't going to be insured by a health insurance policy that doesn't exist.

That has nothing to do with the absurd notion that people should be able to buy insurance for something that has already happened (i.e. -- an existing condition) without the expectation that the premiums have to equal the actual cost of treating the insurable event.

If we want to nationalize the costs of health care in this country, let's have that conversation -- the way we once did before the sophistry of this "insurance" BS took over the conversation. But then we are not having an "insurance" conversation -- something inconvenient when people logically ask questions about costs and who has to subsidize whom.

On top of it, people are delusional if at this point they don't realize that 1) Those costs are great today for a variety of reasons from costly medical innovations to moral hazard making it so people have little incentive not to do things like smoke and let themselves get morbidly obese, and 2) the past ways we have tried to nationalize those costs (with the promises that it would give people a free lunch) has made health care even costlier (which was predictable, even though anyone suggesting it gets shouted down).

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After six calls in the past 20 minutes, I'll vote for Trump if he drops a MOAB on "Rachel from Card Services."

12. LongTimeListener

So how does the kid get the surgery? And future surgeries?

They don't, though. That's what an insurance pool is. I'm a healthy 45-year-old man who almost never uses medical services, so my $7,500 offsets other costs. On a large scale, that's what younger people do.

I pay more in car insurance than I ever take out of it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.