1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At any rate, can we agree that the existence of the law moved people into the "insured" column?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Which can't really be enforced!

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes. As will this one (even if it winds up being passed exactly as it currently stands).

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have acknowledged nothing of the sort. My comment was that we wouldn't have any solid idea what was going on until Comey decided to go public with the results of the FBI's investigation. If there is sufficient evidence that would be followed by a trial or trials. Once that happens (if that happens) I'd consider the idea that there had been suspicions which had proved baseless. It is far too early for anything but speculation at this point. I would urge you to read the "Known Facts" section of the Lawfare article I linked. I look at those and see an investigation of what went on regarding the election as eminently reasonable, not a witch hunt.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yes, you caught my mistake. Thank you for that.

My point stands. Only good thing about it is this was a large step toward the Dems taking back the House and stopping everything this administration does.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When did I say that?
    You said there were 20 million more people insured now than pre-Obamacare. I never disagreed.
    What I was pointing out is that when you pass a law requiring people to have something (or institute tax penalties for them not having it, which is essentially the same concept), it's obvious that millions of people will acquire that product in a very short timeframe so they don't have to pay the penalty. It's not necessarily because they want it, need it, or suddenly have greater access to it, even if some of those things are true.
    I was also pointing out that Obamacare was passed in 2010, the percentage of uninsured continued to remain relatively steady until all of the court cases played out in 2012, and then the graph takes a sharp turn once people saw that this would indeed be the law of the land.
    I never said word one about its impacts. That's an entirely different debate.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's a victory speech for you. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, (R-Fla.) -- "Is this bill good? No, I don't like it." He voted for it. Maybe he doesn't his job is good, either.

8. Michael_ Gee

PS: It turns out the reporter who heard Priebus say Trump helped "punt" the ball to the end zone tried her tape again and said, no, he said "punched" the ball towards the end zone. This is being heralded by the likes of Brit Hume as a major liberal error. But it's still stupid. Stabler rule. Punch the ball into the end zone on offense, you don't score.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or you "punch it in from the 1," by running it, which is also a common phrase.

poindexter likes this.
  10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's in real trouble.

doctorquant likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, somehow these people went from being dumb yet optimistic to being just proudly dumb assholes.

#america

12. Michael_ Gee

His district was over plus 20 for Clinton. I'd say he's in trouble. More trouble than if he'd just owned the vote. To do something then look ashamed is never a good take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.