1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I lived in South Florida for 26 years.

I paid anywhere from 3-6 times more for homeowners insurance there than I do now.

Despite the fact that my Florida house was concrete block construction built to extremely demanding codes enacted in 1992.

Why the higher rates for a much-stronger house? Because it had the pre-existing condition of sitting 24 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, where hurricanes tend to be.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's enough to make you want to go punt a ball.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But we sure showed them Irakees! And Halliburton got rich!!

5. Neutral Corner

Sometime if you read all the words closely the meaning changes, particularly when they are making a public comment about things which are classified..

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you moved, your home insurance rates would drop.

If you moved, your health insurance rate wouldn't.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My bad. You are right. Misread a lengthy chart in small type. Sorry.

8. BTExpress

Listen, I know it's not "fair" that people have a choice about where they live and rarely are at fault for their pre-existing health conditions.

But that IS how insurance works. High-risk = higher premiums.

State Farm hasn't written a new policy in South Florida or Tampa Bay since Andrew hit in 1992.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Under what system is this not true?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You can control where you live. You cannot always control whether you get sick or injured.

11. BTExpress

As I said above, it's not fair. But that IS the business.

Let's say you worked for an auto-insurance company.

Guy comes in, wants insurance. Seems like an intelligent, level-headed guy. But you notice he's had 59 reports of accidents in his past. You ask him about it.

"Yeah, I really am a good driver. But I have this health condition whereby I can black out suddenly and without warning. Damndest thing. But it only lasts for a few seconds, though. But yeah, it has caused me to run into a few things on the road."

You gonna write him a policy?

BTW, homeowners in Florida was actually quite reasonable until the mid-2000s, when they had a bad couple of years with hurricanes, and people saw their rates quadruple (or worse).

Yeah, you have a "choice" where you live. But are you ready to pack up and leave a well-paying job just because your insurance rates are going through the roof? Is that "fair" to ask of people?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.