1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There could not be a more ignorant, stupid person in charge of this country

poindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Hybrid system and not single-payer.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Is is that tough to understand? If this becomes law (which it won't, hopefully), millions lose insurance and an ass-load of pre-existing conditions won't be covered any longer. That will lead to more deaths. What am I supposed to say here? You dummy?

Again, I can't wait to see a bunch of republicans who voted yes get their asses handed to them in 2018.

Riptide likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

People who know a little about politics think otherwise.

Tip O'Neill wrote about this in his book, Man of the House, and it's retold here:

Thomas P. O'Neill learned two great lessons from his first campaign. One lesson was learned on the last day of the campaign from his high school elocution and drama teacher, a neighbor who lived across the street from his residence. On that fateful day, Mrs. Elizabeth O'Brien approached the aspiring politician and said "Tom, I'm going to vote for you tomorrow even though you didn't ask me." O'Neill was puzzled as he had known Mrs. O'Brien for years and had done chores for her, cutting grass, raking leaves and shoveling snow. He told his neighbor that "I didn't think I had to ask for your vote." She replied "Tom, let me tell you something: People like to be asked." The second bit of advice came a few days after the election from O'Neill's father. During the election, Thomas O'Neill, Sr., removed himself from his son's first election and left him to his own devices. However, after the election, he told Tip: "Let me tell you something that I learned years ago. All politics is local." During the campaign, Tip took his neighborhood for granted and did not work hard enough in his "own backyard." O'Neill took these lessons to heart. He would not hold his career aspirations over the interests of his constituents. The advice paid off: O'Neill served for fifty years in public office (sixteen years in the Massachusetts House of Representations and thirty-four years in the United States House of Representatives).

Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr. and Boston College

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's not just about higher premiums. It's the company refusing to pay because they arbitrarily don't want to.

In this analogy, you are paying the higher premiums already. Then a hurricane hits your house, and the insurance company says, "Nah, you live in a pre-existing condition area. Sorry, we're not paying."

What the ACA equivalent did was tell the companies they could no longer do that. If they chose to insure in that area, then they couldn't claim that anything expensive was a pre-existing condition.

6. YankeeFan

Oh good. We've reached the portion of the thread where Baron provides analogies.

7. Baron Scicluna

I wasn't the one who began the hurricane analogy, dummy.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Except that in choosing to buy or build a home in a certain spot, you are assuming known risk that you can avoid or mitigate by electing to live elsewhere. Health is different. You can take care of yourself for decades and live "the right way," as the alleged gentleman from Alabama put it, and you can still get cancer or dementia or any number of expensive conditions that can ruin you financially. This is in part because there are some medical mysteries that remain unsolved.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So where should you choose to live when rape is considered a pre-existing condition?

10. Baron Scicluna

A convent.

At least you wouldn't get blamed for your choice of clothing.

11. YankeeFan

And yet, you gave us your own take on it.

12. YankeeFan

LOL. Now talking about #TrumpRussia is a distraction from the news of the day.

You guys are funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.